SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peterk312

Epsoma Plant-tone fertilizer in containers. Potential bad odors?

peterk312
11 years ago

I'm trying to make a switch from using Miracle Gro fertilizer to a slow release type added to a peat/perlite/compost potting mix. I've never used Epsoma products before. So, I'm just trying to avoid a mistake if the product isn't really suitable for containers.

I've used Alaska Fish Fertilizer before in containers, and although the product is supposed to have all odors removed it does smell like a pond for a day or so after you apply it. I've got about 16 sq. ft. of containers on a balcony, and they will all be getting the slow release mix with Fish Fertilizer once or twice a month. But regarding the addition of Epsoma slow release fertilizer, I don't want to mix up all the soil and then find out it smells too offensive once you start watering. So,does anybody know if Epsoma Plant-tone soil fertilizer is not appropriate to use in containers on a balcony because it smells too offensive?

At a store that sells Plant-tone I read on the bag that they recommend for potted plants to mix 1 part Plant-tone to 25 parts soil (about 2/3 cups per gallon of soil). That would suggest the manufacturer believes the product is suitable for containers but still says nothing about potential odors.

Ingredients in Plant-tone include pasteurized poultry manure. Is that what this is going to smell like then--poultry manure? (In fact, as far as I know any kind of manure in containers is a general no-no.)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional