SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Organic Fertilizers for Containers---What DOES work?

kristimama
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Forgive me for not posting in a long time. I've had one heck of a terrible cold season with my kids and I'm just getting back into gardening now that Spring has arrived here in the bay area.

Inevitably every single time the "organic" question gets asked on this board, blood pressures rise, feathers get ruffled, and why oh why am I asking this again? LOL

Anyway, in the last heated post or two that I was rereading for any new information, Al and JaG (and others) suggested that maybe those of us who are more rigidly trying to go "all organic" should post a separate message, asking specifically for information about using organic fertilizers.

So here it is, formally taking that step. Can we build a list of organic fertilizer options for containers. What works? What may not work as well? Please share your successes (or failures.)

Before the advent of the petrochemical industry, people all over the world were successfully growing food in containers. Right? The french were long ago growing their "orangeries" and every italian coastal village I have ever visited is dotted with terra cotta planters bursting with citrus and tomatoes.

So how do we tap into that knowledge base and grow container food without synthetics chemical fertilizers? What DOES work? What organic fertilizers do you use for your container gardens? Any homebrews? Are there books, resources online, other forums where this information is available?

And please know, I am not posting this to exclude JaG or Al. They know (at least I hope they do) I'm not posting this question to stir the pot or push any agenda, but only to perhaps build a list of possible options for those of us that are simply too stubborn (me) to try a synthetic with containers, primarily food stuffs.

And for the purpose of discussion, I'm using a really generic broad definition of soilless mix as anything lacking a soil or mineral/dirt component. So I think whether you're growing in 100% compost, or Al's mix, or Mel's mix, or a bagged mix from the nursery, or some hybrid of them all, they're all soilless mixes. And FWIW, I actually use a modified version of Al's bark/perlite/peat mix for my citrus and I love it. It's the method of delivering fertilizer (organically or synthetically) that is my primary concern.

The only thing I ask is that we not rehash Al's Soil and Fertilization posts, since they're posted elsewhere with an enormous amount of detail. I get how and why container growing is not the same as in ground: there's no soil food web and no predictable supply of worms and critters eating up all the organic matter. And I can accept that I might get better, easier, more reliable or more consistent results using synthetics. But that option is completely off the table for me and many others. It just is. That's one of the beautiful things about gardening: individual choice.

What I can't accept is saying it "can't be done." In the end, this board may not offer all the answers or have enough people growing organically to make a very long list, but I'd like to give it a shot and see where that takes us.

I don't think it takes anything away or detracts from the wonderful information here about container growing to simply offer organic options to those that want them.

Thanks for sharing,

KMama

Comments (32)