SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Mantis Carb adjustment

Hi Folks,

Have a 2cycle mantis, it's about 3 years old, and probably has 4 hours on it. The reason is two fold, one I DON"T LIKE MANTIS, and the other is it's so flipping hard to start!!

Anyway, due to being on the "sick list" due to dropping a heavy carving board on a toe and not being able to do the outside stuff I need to, decided this spring I would conquer the beast.

Prepared myself by watching youtube videos on carb adjusting for them, read the book, etc.

Air fiter is clean, checked plug, checked gas filter, etc. New "medium" unleaded with 50:1 oil mixed in.

Prime, choke, pull till it fires, open choke, pull and it starts-NOT! It did start, but only ran about 3-4 seconds and died. Will not idle.

Two hours later, here's the results. If the "H" screw is adjusted fully CW it will idle all day but will not accelerate without "bogging" down. If the "H" screw is adjusted fully CCW accelerates, idles, plenty of power, etc.

What I seem to be looking at is to start and idle this to let it warm up, the "H" screw has to be fully CW, then to operate, it must be reversed to fully CCW. Note: This has the plastic stops on the adjusting screws, so limits are determined by them as to CW and CCW. Carry a small screwdriver with me when I'm going to operate this? :-)

"L" screw has relatively little change on things other than "fine tuning" high speed operation..

I'm open to suggestions at this point. Ready to blame partially blocked fuel circuit due to ethanol, but as soon as it's warm, it works great. Shut it off and if it hasn't cooled down will start right back up. Temperature sensative fuel circuit blockage?

I've got a barn full of two and four cycle engines, not counting the diesels on the farm tractors. Everybody is happy, including a 25 year old homelite chainsaw. This thing just doesn't want to play nice.

Opinions?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (6)