SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

phlox - so many, so useful

User
12 years ago

In the never-ending battle against unwanted weeds, bare soil is anathema. I know mulch is often used but I don't like it - I don't care how useful it is, it is also boring and even ugly. I don't mind using it around the fruits and veggies but great swathes of grassy, woody brown stuff are not what I want in my ornamental areas. Consequently, I have been experimenting with living mulches for a number of years, using a mix of annuals and mat-forming clovers. However, one genus stands out - phlox. I grow many, including the tall garden phlox (P.maculata, P carolina, P.paniculata). As a ground-covering weed-suppressing living mulch, there is P.subulata, P.stolonifera, P.douglasii, the taller P.diviricata and even the little annual P drummondii....and there are more. Mannerly, colourful, often evergreen....what is not to like. I shall be taking cuttings like mad and using these little plants a lot more extensively as there are phloxes for every aspect of the garden and all of them are lovely. Alongside hardy geraniums, I am hoping to never have to see an area of naked weedy soil in my flower and rose beds.

Comments (18)