SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huzzah_gw

Windows 2007

huzzah
16 years ago

Looking for some feedback.

Going to build a greenhouse out of these 36x60 inch windows I obtained.

Need input on the design.

Does a greenhouse need to have a roof that is transparent?

It would be way easy to build a rectangular structure that is long and narrow.(maybe 60 feet long and 20-24 feet wide

If I make my verticle glass window walls 10 feet tall( and the greenhouse is around 20-24 feet wide with a shingled roof on top, will that be enough light for plants, vegetables, herbs and mostly native plants in containers (I can make it less wide, but trying to optimize square footage of growing surfaces. How do I figure that?))

This design would be simple to build and a shingled roof would be low maintenance and also good for insulation.

I am thinking a long, narrow greenhouse that is oriented with one end to the north and the other end of the long rectangle to the south. In the winter, when the sun does not get too high, I think there should be plenty of light. In the middle of the day in the summer, when the sun is high it would be over the shingled roof, but I think plenty of light would be gotten through the side windows morning and evening.

I know some of you intelligent folks could use math or physics or whatever to calculate this and quantify how many hours of light I would get on the plants at different times of the year. I am in Mid Missouri. Smack dab in the middle of these united states. , but I need some help with that, I am more intuitive than scientific.

I got my windows , plenty of them. single hung aluminum frame, double pane insulated, almost new. they were installed in an apartment complex 2 years ago, then removed because they were not up to code.

He has lots more if anyone wants them. $15. each.

Is my idea feasible?

I guess the question is how muany hours of direct light will plants get with this design at different times of the year?

and is it adequate?

Thanks

Comment (1)