SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_n_jessa

greenhouse advice for a newbie

jeff-n-jessa
16 years ago

Hi - I looked through the FAQ, and wasn't able to find the answers to my questions below. I'm thinking about investing in a greenhouse later this summer, and am starting my research. What I'd like to find is someone who is in my same boat and can help get me started...

So, here's the situation (does everyone else automatically think "my parents went away on a week's vacation" when someone says that??? maybe it's just me). I live in Coldsville (aka Rochester, NY), and have been seduced by the tropical bug. I have citrus, plumeria, bananas, bougs, brugs, gardenias, and have ordered a mango and miracle fruit. I have a large sunroom where most of them lived last winter, but it only gets direct sun for 3 hours or so. But, I'd like to really let them grow over the winter, since it last for 7 months.

A lot of folks seem to keep their plants in the GH full time. This would not be my intention. I would put them in there in late Sept/Oct, and take them out in May. It gets really cold here (sometimes -10's) in Jan/Feb, so heating will be a must.

Here are my questions:

1. Anyone in similar circumstances? What GH did you get, and are you happy with it?

2. I'll probably use electric heat, but what do you use if the power goes out? Are there gas/propane heaters that can kick on in that situation?

3. Can you grow tomatoes, peppers, herbs? This would be a great inducement for the wife...

4. I've read that ventilation is important, but do you really suck icy cold air into your GH? Or is it only important in the warmer months (which, again, is not my problem, as they will be basking on the deck then).

5. Do the GH kits (Solexx, Rion, etc.) ever go for sale used? I was surprised not to find a single one on Craigslist/Ebay. Do they last long?

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the summer wears on - especially if I can find a zone envy buddy!

Thanks, Jeff

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer