tripleh_gw

Newbie considering a greenhouse

tripleh
16 years ago

Hello people.

For the past few days I've been reading various forums and

doing research on a greenhouse.

Some background info...

I'm not a gardener, and I do not have a green thumb. However, I'm extremely into Health & Fitness, and natural home-grown foods can be one of the healthiest things around.

My next door neighbor is an older retired guy who has a small garden. He grows cantelope, about 5 different veggies and a grape vine rather well, in a small area.

I've always been interseted in a garden, but my fears were bugs and not being able to handle them, and lack of time to commit to it. The time issue is better now, so I am more willing to help take something like this on now.

I live in central NC, which I believe is rated as zone 7b. However, I do not know what significance this really has yet.

The reason I am interested in a greenhouse is the bug problem goes down a lot I would think, as the only main ways for them to get in is when you open the doors/vents, right? Less of a problem, right? and the fact that you can grow things around here that isn't really meant to do so (citris stuff) and grow stuff year round.

I'm interseted in all types of salad veggies, and most all types of fruit.

Here is the space in my backyard that I would like to use:

http://www.sev1.net/pic/backyard.jpg

From the picture, you are facing west in the late afternoon (4-5pmish). I would remove the 2 sheds you see and put a greenhouse in the area. This area recieves constant sunlight from morning til early afternoon, then the trees you see behind them provide shade. I believe this would easily fit the 6 hours of sunlight per day that I constantly read about. The placement, of course, could be closer to the house (I am standing in the carport in the picture) if necessary and would provide more time of direct sunlight.

what I seen I was most interested in so far was something like this:

http://www.greenhouses-etc.net/big-greenhouses/clear_view_greenhouse.htm

The size of 26'x12'x28' seems to fit this area very well I would think.

Greenhouse considerations

- drainage, this is on the downslop of a hill behind my house, good location no?

- climate controlled - yes, I totally intend to do this

I am the type of person I do not mind spending the money to make sure things are done right. Up to about 10-15k, that is.

Finally, I did mention I am not a person with a green thumb, however I am willing to learn. My neighbor, previously mentioned, is the one that would "run with" this, not me. We have chatted about it many times. He constantly says things like "it'd give him something to do" -- and I'm all for that if we can get a lot of natural food out of it.

Other things I should consider?

Do I have it all wrong and there are things I will not be able to do with this in my area?

Thanks for any input

Comments (15)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio