SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jchin34

Craftsman Lawn Tractor Cranks but won't Start

jchin34
12 years ago

Hi there,

I have done a few searches in this forum but couldn't come up with anything specific for the problem that I am having so here it goes:

I have a Craftsman model 917.273634 tractor in which symptoms started showing up out of nowhere. I had a problem with it before which turned out that the valve settings were out of whack (due to cold weather starts, incorrect oil weight, etc) but elimininated that problem by retuning the engine again.

Anyhow, the problem I am having is this.. The tractor will crank till the battery runs out, but will the engine will not start. I started troubleshooting it and discovered that there is no spark at the spark plug. Thinking it was a seat switch problem, I shorted out the seat switch and still no spark. Furthermore, I remember from another post about a 'safety' wire and I disconnected this black wire from the part that gives the spark plug its spark (sorry I can't remember what that part was called).

I have also recharged the battery and changed the spark plug.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and how to fix it? I had great luck before and am hoping for it again. Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus
More Discussions