SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesskidden

used Simplicity 3C chipper shredder question

18 years ago

Picked up a used 3hp Simplicity 3C chipper shredder the other day. While the reduction ratio is amazing (I was used to the less than stellar results from a MTD chipper/shredder and a Troy-bilt Vac- on neither of which I used the screen, since they clogged more than functioned corrected in my experience), I was somewhat disappointed with the "suction" or "self-feeding" aspect. I had to use a stick to feed the leaves, v-e-r-y slowly, into the small entry hole. Wet leaves in particular slowed the machine to the point of stalling.

A few days later, my Troy-bilt blew it's Tecumseh engine (snapped the camshaft- kinda figured it was on it's way out which is why I picked up the Simplicity), so I tried the 10', 4" dia hose on the back of the Simplicity by removing the plate, using a PVC flange and got NO vacuum, NO suction at all. Is there some other aspect/part of the Simplicity hose attachment? I see that an option for new models is a "leaf tray"- is this the "lid" I see on some models' hoppers? Does that help create a better vacuum, both in the hopper or the back entry port?

Also, as an aside, I noticed a lot of surface rust inside the metal B&S gas tank (all my other machines have plastic and it never dawned on me to check the inside of a tank)- should I consider a new tank, a fuel filter or look forward to a new/rebuilt carb soon?

Comment