SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Long term soil health in perennial garden

alexh1000
14 years ago

Hi all,

I have an extensive permanent perennial garden created from scratch about 5 years ago. I basically removed most of the native soil (no topsoil present as site was bulldozed when house was built) and replaced it with a mix of bulk planters mix, composted bark, manure and some granite grit down to 2-3 feet. Of course some of the native clay soils did get into the mix, perhaps 10% or so which is probably a good thing.

Every year I amend it heavily with a bark/wood compost (Kelloggs compost in the west) used as a mulch. This product although cheap, is probably not ideal since it seems to be composed mostly of wood chips and is probably not composted very well. Some have even accused these companies of dying the product black! I noticed that if I use it as a mulch around annuals it will kill them presumably because it's taking up the surface nitrogen. But within a year or so in the garden it's probably a good soil amendment and I intend to keep using it.

My question is, I think that I'm just providing browns in terms of compost. I can buy well composted manure which is a "green". I tend not to use this as mulch because it becomes very muddy/crusty when wet but perhaps I can mix it with the bark mulch?

Just wondering what the best strategy is for long term soil health. When I dig a hole in some areas the soil does not look like it has as much organic content as it did a few years ago. The drainage is still excellent as water will not stand in holes at all.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. - Every year I spread a thin layer of either the Kellogg compost or manure compost on my lawn and although it may stress it a little (due to initial nitrogen loss) in the beginning it seems to work wonders as I never use those "quick fix" lawn fertilizers anymore. I do however put down some osmocote on the lawn which hopefully is little better for all concerned than the lawn fertilizers. I read that the that the high levels of synthetic nitrogen kills or stresses all of the bacteria and critters including worms so it necessitates more and more of the product (which the fert companies love of course).

Comments (7)