SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmullen_gw

Need comments by owners of small electric log splitters

dmullen
16 years ago

I have seen a lot of discussion on this subject but very little input from actual owners of such splitters about their performance.

Anyone here using one that would let us know how well they work?

I have been splitting firewood with a wedge and sledge and sometimes a maul but have often wondered if any of the small 5-6 hp splitters actually works and endures. It would be nice to find an easier way to split the wood for a while.

Last year, I came across several cords of free wood and rented a 27 hp splitter for a little over $100. It was worth it because I split it all in one day. I had to get it out of my driveway quickly so I could get my cars out of the garage.

Lowes is closing out their "Taskforce" 5 HP electric splitters for $269 and I wonder how long this would last and whether it will split 18-20 inch logs (ad says it will).

I cut my logs to about an 18 inch length so they will fit in my wood burning stove. The diameter is usually more than the 10 inch diameter that this splitter will cut but I figure that I could cut off smaller pieces with it until the diameter was 10 inches.

Thanks

Comments (7)