SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Hollywood Cemetery Yellow Rose . . . One More Time

hartwood
16 years ago

Hi, All.

It's time for another attempt to identify the yellow mystery rose from Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. I went yesterday afternoon before my rose society meeting to see if I could locate the rose and get some photos and a better description. It took a while of me driving around in circles to find it (that place is a maze). When I did find it, I was surprised to see that the thing was in full bloom! (For that matter, so were so many other beautiful roses. I'll put some photos of the other roses in the Rose Gallery when I finish here.)

Here's the whole bush. It is about 7' tall.

{{gwi:250529}}

A close-up of the bottom, showing the growth habit and the massive number of thorns:

{{gwi:250530}}

A closed bud with new leaves:

{{gwi:250531}}

A half-open bloom.

{{gwi:250532}}

Another bloom.

{{gwi:250534}}

There's a sprig of it in a vase here on my desk, with a bud, an open bloom, and a past-peak bloom. (If anyone has a question or would like a photo of a detail of my sprig, just ask.) Fully open, the blooms are 3 - 3 1/2" across. They are deep gold, with a hint of a red or apricot tint. All the leaves on this sprig have 3 leaflets -- I see one leaf in the bud photo that has 5 leaflets. The bush has some blackspot, but so does just about everything else around here this year. (I hate to see it start so early. -sigh- ) I took my sprig with me to the rose society meeting, and no one there knew what it was.

With this new information, do we have anymore guesses on this rose's identity?

Thanks for looking.

Connie

Comments (9)