SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

Copper and zinc deficiencies

macky77
10 years ago

Hopefully, Slimy_Okra has followed me over for this spin-off question from a thread in veg gardening. We garden in similar soil. Other posters welcome to reply, too, of course. :)

I've asked around in person and I've looked around online for places to have soil tested here in Saskatchewan and haven't found one yet who will do home garden tests. They only do testing for large farms, apparently. I'm jealous of the Extension services those of you in the States can so easily access. The only place I have left to check is the U of SK, but their soil sciences department isn't open for the season yet.

So, as to my question. I attended a livestock feed seminar many years ago and at the meeting, they were talking some about local soil deficiencies and how they customize their grain feeds for each local market, making the assumption that the livestock are grazing on local pasture in the summer and eating local hay in the winter. This explained why my horse's hooves started falling apart after I moved him here. Got him on a supplement and his hooves regained their healthy structure. If this deficiency caused such an obvious consequence in my horse, I can only assume that it would have an effect on humans eating from our garden as well.

The minerals most deficient here are apparently zinc and copper. I'm already applying small amounts of Ironite to help lower our sky-high pH and it's my understanding from other threads here (don't have access to my bag label at the moment) that zinc is present in the Ironite. Hopefully that's correct. Where would I find copper for the garden? What would it be called? I've already perused the shelves at the local greenhouses, Peavy Mart and Early's in Saskatoon, to no avail. Everyone I asked looked at me like I had two heads and were no help at all.

Comments (10)