SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
powerflowers

Help with thornless rose selection for Z5a

powerflowers
10 years ago

I live in suburban Chicago, Zone 5a. Last year we relandscaped our backyard but I still have several areas left to work on this year. This is such a knowledgeable group, I am hoping you can offer me some advice on rose selection.

Our brick color is an orange/red with peachy tones. I would like to incorporate some salmon/apricot or peachy pink blooms into the garden. Yellows might work too, or magentas, purples or reds. I have a lot of white hydrangea in the yard and would like for the roses to be colorful or at least a blush color rather than pure white if possible. I love full cupped blooms with thick glossy foliage. I am looking for roses that are continual bloomers, or have excellent rebloom, not just one and done bloomers. I am willing to deadhead, but don't want to spray. So here comes the toughest part. I would like to stick with only thornless (or near thornless) varieties. Not asking for much am I? :)

Here are the areas I am focusing on this year.
1. I have a trellis against my chimney on the south side. It gets about 6 hours of sun. In front of the chimney is a 9 ft wide x 4.5 ft deep bed between two AC units that I need to plant. I would like to include some roses, one on the trellis (which is 8 ft tall x 3 ft W) and maybe a well behaved thornless rose bush that will not become a monster on either side of the bed. Suggestions?

2. Nearby we will also be adding an arbor arch as an entrance to the back garden. This area gets at least 5 hours of sun a day, mostly morning, dappled afternoon light and then late day western light as the sun goes down. There is definitely some shade for part of the day here, but I love the look of roses growing up an arch so I am hoping to find a nearly thornless climber that tolerates some shade for this spot.

I was thinking maybe Golden Showers on the chimney trellis and Zephrine Drouhine on the arch. I read that ZD does well in shade, but am concerned about disease resistance here in Z5. What other continuous or reblooming thornless climbing roses should I consider? I read Strawberry Hills glowing reports on Annie Laurie McDowell in terms of bloom, disease resistance and scent. She sounds like a real winner in the long run, but is she too slow growing for a big arch and can I still get one this season? Is there a continual or repeat thornless climber in peachy pink or apricot tones that is Z5 hardy? I like the full, cupped look of Abraham Darby, but he looks pretty thorny. HMF lists him as almost thornless, but I have seen photos online where he looks very well-armed. Would Climbing Pinkie work in Z5a? Peggy Martin? Shropshire Lad?

3. The third area that needs help is along the back of my house where I have a raised bed along the outside of one room (about 20 ft wide x 3 ft deep). It is shaded in the morning and has a direct western exposure with absolutely no shade during the longest, hottest part of the day from noon to sunset. Any bushes I plant here will have to be kept at a max ht. of 4 ft so as not to block the window view. I would like to grow a nearly thornless rose hedge along this wall, but do not want to plant anything that will take tons of extra work to maintain at about 4 ft level. My first choice for this spot would be Austins Heritage, but I am concerned how well they will do baking against the house in the hottest sun each day since I read they can be picky bloomers that shut down in too much heat. But gosh, they are beautiful! If Heritage will not work, I was thinking maybe Reines des Violettes?? If neither will work, can you recommend something else for a nearly thornless hedge with continuous bloom or excellent repeat? Also, do I get 4 or 5 of them for this space?

4. One last area I need help with is a space between my yard and my neighbors. There is an older couple that shares our yard border in one corner. They pay meticulous attention to their vegetable garden, but allow the rest of their yard to grow weedy and wild, and it is an eye sore we can see from our side. I want to fill a space about 6-7 feet wide and at least as tall (or taller) with a vigorous, bushy grower that blooms well all season. Is there a larger thornless rose bush that would work here? The spot gets some direct afternoon sun and indirect light the rest of the day.

Thanks for any advice you might offer. Since I have this chance to do it once - the right way allowing for the correct space, etc. - I really appreciate any advice I might get from all you experts!
Karen

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!