SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juntawillow

New Garden Bed - Prepare for Spring!

Couple of quick questions... (sorry, I couldn't fall asleep last night thinking about all of this!) :)

We are planning on expanding our in ground garden bed this spring to 60 X 8. It is currently about 25 X 8. Anyway, I'm guessing it would NOT be a good idea to use Preen to kill the grass before we tear it out... correct?

Also, the ground is 'hard' in some spots... should I just put 2-3 inches of compost on top and hand till it in? I'll have to buy whatever additions I need to the soil so I want to make sure I spend wisely. Don't laugh - I live in a suburban subdivision - not in a rural area with a surplus of dirt, etc. 8)

Lastly, to deter weeds, I read that I could put 4-5 sheets of wet newspaper down and then just put compost on top. Since I won't be sowing all seed directly, will I be able to easily tear through the newspaper for planting garden 'plants'? Or will this be a pain? Do seeds go on top of the paper then, under the compost? Maybe I should have done this in the fall??? Dumb questions, I know... bare with me!

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

2009 Garden

Comments (10)