SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wholeliving_ar

Tips for Preparing Garden Beds for Spring Planting

wholeliving_ar
15 years ago

I am building three raised flower beds out of donated concrete blocks. They're not huge, but I hope to plant a small garden in the spring. I don't have exact measurements, but each of the beds is about 3 blocks high and 2 deep, with a lower level one block high. The two side beds are five blocks wide, and the center bed is 8 blocks wide. I also have basil, chives, and lavender in pots.

I have daylilies planted in one bed, with rosemary in low bed beneath it. The other two beds I have started from scratch - I have a recycled, eco-friendly weed-blocking fabric underneath the blocks, torn up lawn waste paper bags on the bottom, old turned over sod and dirt on top of that, then organic garden soil mixed with peat hummus on top of that. I would guess that the layers are 2-3 inches each, with another layer of organic garden soil on top, followed by pine mulch. I tried planting in the ground, but I have terrible, thick clay, rocky soil. Thus, my reason for the raised beds...

My question is, are there any steps I need to take to further prepare these beds for spring planting? With the raised beds, are there any red flags I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your help! I'm new at this, and I appreciate any feedback!

Comments (2)