SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clavero_gw

Twin wall over wood frame construction details question

clavero
19 years ago

I have two questions:

#1 I'm still working on understanding the fine details of the twin wall attachment to the wood frame I'm planning / building.

I've been using the printed Sundance construction materials that note (repeatedly) to plan for expansion of the panels. The roof rafter framing is straight forward but I can't seem to find anything specifically about allowing for expansion/contraction in the side and end walls.

It seems prudent to me to allow some space there as well. Since I'm planning 4 foot high side walls (the GH sits on a knee wall) and will be cutting the 8 foot sheets in half to panel them, it seems to me that the total height of the "4 foot wall" should really be 4 foot plus...something. On top of that I plan to use the aluminum U Profile end cap on (at least the bottoms of the panels)and that is 1/16 thick.

So then, it seems that allowing 1/8" for theU profile ( top and bottom) plus say another 1/8" top and bottom of the whole panel for expansion, the total wall height should really be 48 1/2 " from the top of the sill to the rafter bottom.

Sound plausible?

The Sundance materials seem to contradict one another about use of the Cap (to cover butt joints on walls and roofs). In one place it says merely screw the cap over the joint securely for a "watertight joint" yet in another it seems to call for sealing the edges of the cap with silicone after it is installed.

I've seen several glazing systems, some using rubber gasket, some with adhesive foam tape. I know the foam tape is not a good idea, but...

what have been your expereinces with galzing caps? Just screw down like Sundance? fitted with rubber gasket like Charley's? seal afterward?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments (7)