SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Framing/Construction/Plumbing gurus?

eam44
10 years ago

Remember my Wall of Death? Here's what it looks like partially demo-ed. It was originally the outside wall of the home, a window over the kitchen sink and soffits 12" high by 13" deep hiding plumbing etc... I want to make that window opening as wide as possible but have some impediments: HVAC, electrical and plumbing. I can gain 1.5 inches on each side if I can move my beams over a bit. Ideally, I'd like the ceiling to continue through that window, but I don' know how to make that work. My questions:

1.) The plumbing from the bathroom above includes a gently sloping tub drain that wraps in front of, then joins a sink drain the same size, that then join the main huge pipe. Is it expensive/labor intensive to make those smaller drain pipes slope less and meet above the level of the ceiling, or should the slopes be left as is?

2.) I'd like to find a framing material that could replace the 2" x 4" beams that support the load over the opening - hoping for something thinner. In fact, I was hoping to find a way to support the load that would allow the ceiling to appear flush with that in the sun room. But they're holding up floor joists. Suggestions?

3.) I'd like to scoot the beams framing the window over on each side, to be adjacent to the plumbing or HVAC on the sides. Am I going to be able to do this myself (female, 5'3", good upper body strength)? I don't want to break my house.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs