SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cthunter01

Yet another coffee question, but about FRESH grounds

cthunter01
13 years ago

Okay, so I know the coffee questions have been beaten to death, but I have a slightly different one that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

My question has to do with using FRESH (unused) coffee grinds as a (relatively) quick soil acidifying agent. I'm mostly new to gardening, but I'm getting really into it this year. I've got a lot of hot pepper seeds that I'm germinating now, and according to the info I can find they like a soil ph of about 5.0-6.0 or 5.5-6.5 depending on source. My potting soil is pretty neutral, and I'd like to bring it down to ~5.5.

Used grinds are themselves neutral, and brewed coffee is acidic, so wouldn't that make the unused grinds acidic? Anyone have any experience using fresh coffee grinds to acidify soil? I'm looking at maybe using sulfur as a solution to acidifying long term, but I'm looking for info on possible short term solutions as well.

Sorry if this question has been answered before and I just didn't see it. But thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Comments (7)