SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

Best filler to replace heavy clay & rocks?

bencjedi
17 years ago

So I have been digging in my back yard along a fence since last weekend to create a 23' long bed for raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes and everybearing strawberries. My soil (if you can call it that) consists of very heavy, thick clay and limestone, sometimes chunks as large as basketballs. I calculated I have removed nearly 60 cubic feet of this stuff (been hand moving it from this forming bed to the area under the patio deck). Needless to say I am very sore and at the 'fun part' where I get to replace the clay/rock deficit.

I don't know if I should fill in with straight compost or go with a soil/compost mix. I had already easily bought 10 cubic feet of mulch and compost at Walmart and then realized it would cost a fortune to fill in what I had removed. I have a pickup truck with a full size bed, so I located a local compost facility that can sell me the 27 cubic feet of compost for $8 or that mixed with topsoil for $10. Originally I was thinking I would buy compost, but I have been reconsidering the mix because essentially without any topsoil, I would just have clay and compost. It might make the earthworms happier to also have the compost/topsoil mix. As I was removing clay I saw hundreds of earthworms. I intend to raise the bed at least a foot to give me about 2 to 2.5' of soil depth overall.

I am likely going to take an extended lunch today to get over to this compost facility, as they are not open on the weekend and I need to get the plants I bought in the ground this weekend. Any opinion on whether I should go with straight compost of the topsoil/compost mix would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH