SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

don't be afraid to mingle your roses...

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Warning - this might not work in a humid climate. However, in our warm/hot dry summer climate, I have been growing roses all mingled & mixed up for years. Mostly it is the roses' idea - they just grow all over each other, and I let them. Not much planning on my part, and not much work done to keep them apart.

Some gardens are laid out exquisitely, so that each vignette is a perfect picture, and each rose stands alone in its part of the picture. Not mine - my philosophy is sort of "the more, the merrier", and I plant what I take a fancy to without much thought as to the results. If what I plant dies, it dies, which makes more room for the latest acquisition. With old roses, luckily most of the colors do not clash (although I must admit that planting Grandmother's Hat right next to Niles Cochet was not my best idea).

Just wanted to let the newbies know that, if you live in a reasonably dry climate, your roses will not die if you "horrors!" let them touch each other. Here is a pic of the roses and clematis on our side fence I just took that illustrates this.

Jackie

Comments (26)