SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johndeere_gw

Air compressor buying advice?

johndeere
17 years ago

I need to replace an old air compressor that I bought used several years ago.It is a 20 or 25 gallon and has a cast iron piston pump not the oil free type that seems to be getting more and more popular.It was abused for several years before I got it.It does not have a drain valve on the bottom of the tank and has developed pin holes from not being drained.So I will not attempt to use it.Because I do not want to deal with a tank blowing apart.

The pump and motor are still in very good shape and I did look online to see about a replacement tank.However they are around $200.00 so that would not be a good plan.When I can replace it with a bigger nicer one for under $400.00.Perhaps finding a oiless that has burnt out and using the tank for mine would be a option.But where to start looking.

So I have decided to just replace it with a new one.I have seen others that have had problems with pin holes in there tanks and welded a plate over the area.But no thanks to risky.

I have looked at the horizontal 25 gallon Sears Craftsman model but it has an aluminum pump housing but a cast iron sleeve for $379.99 on sale this week only $20.00 off.Also Lowes has a Kobalt 30 gallon vertical with a cast iron pump for $390.00.Home Depot has a simular model as Lowes called a Husky.Menards has a 20 gallon horizontal with a cast iron pump its a Sanborn and looks similar to what I need to replace for $330.00.Also there is a local store seling a Puma vertical 25 gallon for $360.00 and all do have botton drains these days.Also they will be used as 110 outlets and are 2hp except the Kobalt saids 1.9 all look the same to me motors that is.

I have always heard to avoid the oiless models.It will mostly be used to inflate car and truck and tractor tires.Also compreesed air to blow things off.I have even consided a Porter cable 6 gallon pan cake compressor.But I was told to for get it for my needs because of truck tires needing 100 psi.I dought I would ever use what ever I buy for air tools.Probably because my old one was not very capable of doing so.If I had the capabilty like at work.Yea I would probably get a impact gun and maybe a paint sprayer.

What ever I get I do not want to deal with a rusted out tank again.I would have gladly drained my old one if it had a drain.Also it appears a vertical standing tank would drain better the a horizontal?Do I really need 5 to 6 sfm or what ever they call it @90 psi?Or would the Poter cable 6 gallon pan cake not only save me a bunch of money but work for my needs with only 2.6sfm at 90 psi?As long as I forget a impact gun and paint sprayer.I do like the portable usefullness of that type.Looks like if the contractors use them to build a house it would be fine for my needs?But maybe I am kidding my self?

Comments (15)