SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

How to rejuvenate an old rugosa rose?

Debbie Downer
12 years ago

There's a 35 year old Rugosa rose on my father's grave - next to the headstone. It's been limping along for a long time not producing many flowers. About 20 years ago it had aphids and blackspot, so someone cut everything down to about 6 inches. Then new growth branched off the old which looked OK for a while, but still not all that great.

Yesterday I removed a number of dead canes and a LOT of dead wood from the center which was completely clogging the base of the plant. Now at least the center is opened up so air can circulate. I wasnt sure what more to do so I stopped there, but I wonder if it would be good to go back and thin out more of the old growth, and if so, how exactly to go about that.

I tried googling and am not quite understanding the instructions. For example - cut at the "bud union". What is that? They all say to cut out the oldest wood - well, all the new canes are branching off from the old wood so it's not clear to me what I would cut.

Since it's a rugosa and (I assume) not growing from a graft, wouldnt I want to keep the suckers that grow up from below? Is it like rejuvenating lilacs and other shrubs where you want to encourage and stimulate new growth to come up from the ground?

Im confused! Thanks in advance for your help - it would be great if we could get this plant looking good and floriferous again.

Comments (7)