SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wubba1108

Newbie Needs Transplanting Advice.

wubba1108
16 years ago

My mother has a climbing rose bush in her side yard that used to belong to my grandmother. My grandmother that died back in the late 70's. So needless to say, this is a VERY old rose bush.

However, its in great shape, blooms every year and is quite the hardy little bugger.

My mom told me recently that she's sick of maintaining it. She's never been one for yard work or gardening. My father (deceased) and I (grown and moved away) always managed the yard in years passed.

She commented that she's planning to get rid of this rose bush.

And therefore, I'd like to take it. How could I not? My grandmother died when I was still young and this is the last remaining thing from her garden. Why WOULDN'T I take it? Ya know?

Here's the dilemma though. I've transplanted before. But my husband and I live a good hour/hour and a half away from my mom's house. So I'm obviously concerned about transporting this bush such a ways.

I was hoping some of you more experienced rose gardeners might have some advice for me? I know I can't let those roots dry out. I was thinking about wrapping the root ball in fully wet peat moss or potting mix or something, then wrapping it in burlap. And transporting it in my SUV versus my husband's pick up truck (I'm fearful the wind w/ be too rough when we're on the highway plus, there's the added potential that if its windy it'll dry the rootball out.)

Lastly, I can't remember off the top of my head when the bush comes out of its dormancy so, do you think it would be safe to transplant in the coming weeks OR should I wait until the Fall?

Comment (1)