SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Briggs Carb Issue

I have a Huskee (TSC) Rear Tine Tiller, it's actually an MTD Model 450. Engine is a Briggs 121132/0144/031230. You've seen these at Lowe's, HD, Sears, etc. just the paint and decals change.

This tiller is the backbone of my gardening activity and works well, the issues are excessive hunting and needs to be at half choke to run. When in use it's run wide open so the hunting isn't an issue and being at half choke is sort of an "Oh well." Running at half choke is a fairly new development indicating a partially clogged port.

There are no adjustments on the carb (Thanks EPA!!!) and the "rebuild kit" seems to primarily consist of gaskets. The air filter is new.

I've disassembled the cowling and the governor is free to move, no binding or other issues, it just moves too much while the engine is running.

The problem is obviously in the jets in the carb and the Briggs solution is buy a new one. I haven't disassembled it yet as I'm not sure what good that would do. Dis-assembly and soaking in carb cleaner seems to be an option, however, I'm a little leery of dissembling something that was designed to be thrown away, and not repaired. The engine has always had good gas with SeaFoam and Stabil added and is run dry n the fall and oil put in the plug hole. Very easy to start, usually only one pull.

Has anyone else disassembled one of these "maintenance free" carbs for cleaning and had any success? I'm thinking of just giving it a very heavy dose of carb/fuel injector cleaner next time I use it in hopes that will do something.

A Sears Service Tech was here once working on my GT while still in warranty and noticed the tiller. He commented that he spends a lot of time adjusting valves on them. I asked if valve adjustment was an issue with this engine, and he commented, "Can't adjust the carb, so gotta adjust something. ??? Not sure if he was joking or if valve adjustment could be related to the carb issues I'm noticing.

Related question, when you go to the Briggs site to download the parts manual, after the "0144" in the engine type column you get a drop down menu which has B1, B3, B8 etc. Can't find any additional numbers on the engine??

Opinions?

Ev

Comments (14)