SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Starbucks won't save grounds

poaky1
12 years ago

Well, as the title says my starbucks say they don't participate in the grounds for gardens program. And the nearest other store is around 20 miles away. There isn't one on every corner here. I didn't even know about this one for years because it is inside a store I don't shop in. I may have to resort to dumpster diving! We have a cup at a time brewer here now at home, we used to use instant coffee, so there is some used grounds but will take forever to help much. We have a Panera bread but they have nothing online about their stores saving grounds.

Comments (50)

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Every restaurant and convenience store is a possible source, but it is an inconvenience to them. You have to present it as a service you provide, not as looking for a favor. The last thing they want is an old bucket of grounds underfoot all the time, you have to be willing to pick them up frequently and reliably.

• Related Discussions

Starbucks Forbids me to use a bucket to collect grounds now

Q

Comments (34)
    A year or so ago I stopped at a Starbucks outside my 'regular' area & was told something that I know was a lie (& I could tell by the wide-eyed, unblinking look the guy gave me while reciting this that he knew it to be a lie, too): "We don't save grounds here. You can go to the Starbucks down the street, they'll have them. We can't keep them here because we're such a high-volume store that the grounds attract fruit flies. The health department won't let us keep the grounds." 1. If coffee grounds are a health hazard, they're a health hazard in every coffee shop, & the health department wouldn't let the store down the street, or *any* Starbucks or other coffee shop, give away their grounds. 2. If you're a high-volume store, you wouldn't let grounds or any other discards pile up: you'd just empty your containers more often. (There used to be a Starbucks near Town East Mall in Mesquite that always put their grounds in a designated trash can just outside their door. Everybody knew that's what that can was for, & they put their trash in the other can.) 3. There's no health/environmental difference between discarding "unclaimed" grounds every night & discarding *all* the grounds every night. The only difference is whether the grounds go into a garden or into the landfill. The manager of that store undoubtedly just didn't want to set the grounds aside. so I emailed Starbucks & received the non-commital "sorry your visit was less than perfect. Please give us a try again, we're sending you a coupon."
    ...See More

regular ucg pickup arrangement with starbucks!! thanks starbucks!

Q

Comments (7)
    Good for you. I have collecting SB grounds for about four years. While the organization makes an effort to give out grounds, most stores seem to pitch about 80 to 90% of the grounds. I prefer the loose grounds and filters to the expresso grounds that the stores give out. Some stores do not seem to realize how many grounds one gardener can use. While one store always gives out one twenty pound bag, another has nice foil bags that only hold five or ten pounds. With my seven piles, I can use two hundred pounds some fall weeks. My procedure is as follows. Two or three times a week I go directly to the SB dumpster. I have a snagging tool, and two large Rubbermaid containers. The average haul is three bags of loose grounds, filters and some trash. If you grab a bag anywhere but by the knots, it will break even though they are double-bagged. The small and heavy bags are the best. Larger bags have more paper and plastic trash are not worthwhile. If I break a bag and it spills outside the dumpster I clean it up. If the wooden gate surrounding the dumpster is closed, it is closed after my visit. If anyone tells me they will give me grounds inside, I explain that my results are much better at the dumpster. I have not been inside the store since I asked permission once three years ago. If I do go inside, sooner or later the manager will request that the dumpster not be visited.
    ...See More

Saving coffee grounds over the winter

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for your replies - I'm in Chicago - zone 5. I'm thinking of just leaving the can outside with the lid on for the winter. In the spring when I've used all the mulch that's in the bins now, and am ready to make the new piles, I'll have 55 gallons of coffee grounds ready to go - moldy or not. I'm getting the idea they'll still be more of a "green" than a "brown". And yes..she is a great kid, and this is a terrific gift - and FREE!! We have 4 Starbucks within a few miles, so she'll just have them all save grounds over the holidays, and I'll be thanking her all year.
    ...See More

Starbucks Coffee grounds retrieval routines

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi! I just wanted to give you my formula. I bought 12 plastic (3 gal.) trash baskets and I lined them with (8 gal.)bags. I drop off two lined containers in the a.m. and bring back two clean lined baskets a couple of days later in the a.m. When I pick those up, UCG and filters go in together. I make sure the trash containers are washed, rinsed and lined. after I dump them. I carry a cement plastic tub in my truck and set the cans, liners and all in the tubs. (just in case of a spill). I worked from three different coffee shops.I tipped and bought mocha or coffee regularly. This worked fine till I went on vacation for a month. My DH picked up only from his favorite coffee house and put the bags in a big pile out in the yard. I had made arrangements with the other two shops that I would be on vacation. When I got home and had to pry frozen bags off the grass and spread them out I thought I would freeze my fingers off. "Boy it was cold" After that I made arrangements to wait till spring to collect more grounds. I now have an acre of grass covered with grounds and 5 nice size lasagna beds waiting to plant. I now turn them about every month. Can't wait to get started again. In the mean time my Chiropractor saves me shredded mail and I am still collecting for the next bed. The Cement tub is always in the truck waiting in case I spy any thing I can use in my beds. I love collecting and gardening. This is very addicting!!!
    ...See More
  • Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

It is much harder then you think to make them tow the line. Call the 800 starbucks number and report them for starters. Even so it may be hard to get them to do it.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

The Starbucks I usually go to has fierce competition for the grounds, with one guy collecting almost every day. I've found a time that works for me, but I don't go regularly.

The other Starbucks within range is located in a shopping center and they'll save the grounds during the summer but not in winter. They told me there's no demand in winter and that's probably true for that location.

Claire

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

My local SBX also stopped saving the coffee grounds for me too :-( They said the bucket was in their way.

I still might do a little dumpster diving, though. I know 90% of all their USGs go in to one, single bag, so it's not as if I'd have to sort through too much trash (maybe some straws, maybe some cups, etc.)

I can appreciate not wanting an extra bucket behind the counter. How about setting that bag out in a bucket by the dumpster? Or just don't harass me if you see my pickup truck around back by the dumpster. Something tells me it's too easy to just say NO rather than figure out something.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

The SBX inside the grocery store in my rural town does not save them, either. DH commutes to Albuquerque though and usually stops at a couple to try and get some, although not on a routine basis.

I love UCG, but they are not the end-all-be-all, thankfully there are lots of options for compost, the trick is just finding what is available to you.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

There are 5 SB within a 12 mile radius of my home. It used to be that if you came around 10:30am you could get a lot, but nowadays it's rare. I've picked them up year round for years.

-I've even called ahead to several shops & state that I would be coming by between 10:30-11am or 11am-11:30am depending on the shop location. They'd save a large bag for me to pick up. Now I'm told they don't have SPACE to store them in the back or out front so just come in & they'll give me what they have.

-Some no longer have the copper can with silver bags, but if you ask for grounds they'll give you some they've stored in the back.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

I believe that Starbucks corporate declared a couple of years ago that they weren't going to require every store to save grounds for composting, and it would be a voluntary program that was up to the individual stores. Some of them
    'get it' and are still doing it, some don't. I agree if you are trying to talk them into it, you have to make it easy and tout the advantages. Like having a smaller dumpster or less staff time walking out to put stuff in it.

• fortyonenorth
    12 years ago

Call the 800 starbucks number and report them for starters.

Wouldn't recommend this course of action if you're looking to establish a long term relationship with this particular franchise. Now, if you simply want to chastise the manager for not bowing to your demands, that's a different story...:)

• robertz6
    12 years ago

Get a feel for the store and employees before you make any drastic action (like getting upset when the next nearest store is 20 miles away).

For a year I went into the store and asked about grounds and received a ~ 20 pound bag. Once I went in and they had no grounds, so I asked if I might check the dumpster. Never went into the store again (not a coffee drinker). But that day there were FIVE bags in the dumpster. After that I took three Rubbermaid containers (bag leak) and a broom and pan to collect any mess I made.

I learned what day the dumpster was emptied, good idea to go right before the pickup arrives. The dumpster will be full and easy to remove the bags on top. An extra bonus turned out to be used grounds with filters is better compost material than the expresso grounds the store gives out. Less moisture in them. These bags do have paper or plastic trash mixed in with the grounds at least some of the time.

My last tip would be to find a good tool for snagging knotted plastic bags. I found a $5 tool at a good OLD fashioned hardware store, not a big box store. Kinda like a mini rake. If you grab the plastic bags anywhere but the tied knot, the bag WILL BREAK.

Make sure you leave the gate the same way you found it, if there is one. Clean up any trash around the dumpster, even if you did not create it.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Good procedure for dumpster diving, robertz!

The Starbucks that is on my way home is pretty new and has a LOCKED gate for the dumpster! I hate when that happens.

• scotty66
    12 years ago

It probably is on a, store-by-store basis, but their corporate site states the stores are supposed to offer complimentary five-pound bags of used coffee grounds.

_____
    Composting
    We introduced Grounds for Your Garden in 1995, which offers customers complimentary five-pound (2.27-kilogram) bags of used coffee grounds to enrich garden soil. And where commercial composting is available, many stores are able to divert other food waste and any remaining coffee grounds from the landfill as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: starbucks entire

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Don't go buy what the website says. First of all that is not updated. Second of all they used to save grounds in small foil bags, but they don't anymore, because flies came into the store. Now you have to ask, but if you ask sometimes they can give you what is on hand. I said to report them because if they already said no, then there is no harm in reporting them. But, sometimes reporting them which I have done often, results in someone there getting you grounds. I can work to report them. It may not work, but if it doesn't work you have not lost anything. They just throw them in the trash so it goes into landfill, so they are being bad for the environment. They should be happy we are helping them out for free, not the other way around.

• jolj
    12 years ago

Do you have a Cracker Barrel or waffle House near you?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No cracker barrel or waffle house. We do have IHOP, Panera bread (they are a sandwich restaraunt) Eat n park, lots of other places where they serve coffee. I tried the Ponderosa and they had a pretty gross dumpster. I may go try the SB dumpster. It is inside our Target store so I will be going to the dumpster that also serves Target. I am not going to report them because they probably have the choice to save or not to save and choose not to. I can get other things to compost, I have a bunny, I used to have 2 bunnies. Of course the litter was ( along with shredded leaves ) the main ingredient in the compost. I just wanted to try the grounds because they are said to be so great. I have some cottonseed meal that may help just as much with nitrogen as the UCG. There is bunny pee on the bedding, so I probably don't need more nitrogen. I may still try to get some UCG, there's a donut shop I may check out. I guess it's fun when you are trying to get something useful for free. I got some pine needles for mulch and was glad I got them free. They aren't the long thick ones from down south, but they will stop the shredded leaf mulch from blowing away from under trees. They want almost $30.00 for a 3 cubic ft bale of the southern pine needles and that isn't including shipping. The southern needles are more durable though. There is no local source for them in Pa though.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

One small thing: whenever I go to Starbucks for used grounds I make a point to buy something, usually a sandwich or a pastry (I prefer my own coffee). The sandwich can go into my freezer, the pastries may not make it home. I also tip the baristas. They recognize me and seem to appreciate my business.

They keep the foil bags of grounds in a bucket by the door and I'll empty that first, then ask if they have any more behind the counter that haven't gotten to the bucket yet. They always give me whatever is there, even if the bag isn't full yet.

Claire

• sugarmaple
    12 years ago

A few years ago, a new Target store opened that had a Starbucks inside. I stopped and asked for their coffee grounds and they said they could not give them out. I asked why and they said it was part of the contract with having their coffee shop inside of Target. Since there was no outside entrance directly into Starbucks, Target was afraid they would have a mess to clean up if the grounds bag broke open.

• wingspings
    12 years ago

The local Starbucks saves the grounds for us. We purchased a covered container/trash barrel and put it next to the large steel rubbish container. They put the bagged up grounds into the rubbish barrel for us to retrieve.
    You may want to pick up trash container and ask if they could put the grounds into the container for you. Its out of there way and you are providing the barrel/container.

• darth_weeder
    12 years ago

Getting UCG from Starbucks or other places is cool but just seems like too much effort and with the price of gas as it is, maybe a bit cost prohibitive to cruise around for grounds, for me anyway.
    How much by volume are we talking about getting at each stop?

• bi11me
    12 years ago

I get grounds occasionally from an independent coffee shop in a town of 7400 people. The owner is an avid and talented gardener, and they have saved UCGs since they opened almost 20 years ago. They have established a system so that over 40 people have access to a 5 gallon bucket of grounds every month. If they miss a pick-up it just goes to the next in line to ask. The volume of UCGs generated in the US is enormous.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

Since we have a ton of Starbucks there is one every where I go to do any type of errand. So, I stop in if they are not busy and ask to take some if I can, sometimes they will let you take what they are about to throw away. I don't waste any extra gas, and it is just random chance that they may have not yet throw them away. You don't have to buy something every time unless you want to, but it may not influence them if you do buy something every time. I would prefer to pay them for the grounds straight up then buy a tea that cost like 2 dollars for one tea bag or a fattening treat or ultra strong coffee that hurts my stomach. I mainly buy Starbucks mugs. I have a huge collection.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

They don't save grounds around here, either. Overall, this is not a very earth friendly area.

Karen

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went in person and asked if I can have any they had in the garbage can and the eye rolling, standing around gossiping teenage girls told me that the garbage is emptied alot and they don't do that anymore. I just bit my tongue and left. I went to a few dumpsters and found Panera bread had 1 bag that I could see grounds in. I took my gloved hand and splatted all I could find in a bucket. The donut store had 1 garbage bag with frozen garbage stuffed to the top, no dumpster. There is a mini mart that I am going to ask to save for me, their dumpster was stuffed with cardboard boxes. I may give up if they say no. The panera bread has clear bags, at least I can see if they are in the bags. This area is not very earth friendly either. There is a compost site at least but I've never seen anybody go there to collect any. I am the only person who goes there sifting through the fall leaves and compost material. The guys that dump off stuff there look and shake their heads like I'm nuts for taking away what people dump off there.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

poaky1 - the world of the dedicated composter can seem a cold and desolate place at times, especially when you're surrounded by people who do not understand our role in saving the world from them. I am fortunate to live in a state where people are very environmentally aware, and even convenience stores at gas stations will take steps to accommodate UCG collectors, if you ask politely and explain your purpose. Regrettably, even we are plagued by the rampant spread of Mindless Teenager Disdain, for which there is no cure but time. Maybe next time if you have a chrome spike protruding through your lip they'll pay better attention. You need some more progressive restaurateurs. Good luck.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

I wasn't able to find the amount imported into the US, bu t world production is in the range of 7 million metric tons per year. Even if the US consumes 5% of that (wild guess on my part but just for discussion), that's 350,000 tons of coffee beans. After they're used the moisture content makes them quite a bit heavier so let's say half a million tons per year.

That's a lot of potential compost!

• darth_weeder
    12 years ago

It's great those of you saving the grounds from the landfill but I guess it's not my cup of tea.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

It works for some people and not for others. I wouldn't drive out of my way, but on the other hand I have plenty of other ingredients so I don't chase coffee grounds. If I had more time and a convenient source, coffee grounds are great.

• borderbarb
    12 years ago

On another thread with the same subject, the problems for store owner were described ... not the least of which is dealing with nit-picking local health inspectors, who can go all crazy over holding UCG for gardeners to pick up. So, it is possible that corporate SB issued an edict with great motives, but for 'real world' SB stores, just one more problem to deal with.

That said, I've only been turned down by one SB among many in our city. Maybe there is more demand for it, here?

I wonder if the OP were to contact local garden clubs or community gardens to create more local demand, the SB shops might find they can accomodate the gardeners in some way.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

A couple of thoughts:

They don't want to have to walk around a bucket all day.

If you walk in the store and asked, I suspect they'd give you what they had on hand.

If you made your rounds regularly and hit all the gas stations, office bldgs, restaurants, banks, hotels, etc. in your neck of the woods, you could probably get a nice bucketful every time you tried.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I asked at 3 places and a donut shop said yes and gave me what they had under the counter. They had them in a bucket already and I can get them from them any time. The other stores said no. I told them what I wanted them for, they don't care. That's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nothing earth shattering, I just wanted to say that the Yum Yum donuts store is giving me almost a full 5 gallon bucket a day. Out of the whole town they are the only place nice enough to save them.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

That is so cool about Yum Yum donuts. I wish more places would do the same, and I would not get some emotional about Starbucks. My whole composting operation would be ruined if I could not get used coffee grounds. This it itself is very troubling. I don't like to be dependent on the whim of Starbucks. I feel like a grounds junkie, but at least composting is healthy and good exercise for the arms.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Looks like you might be bringing a few bags of produce to the donut shop this summer. That's enough coffee grounds to supply a few good-sized compost piles - maybe the start of a small-scale windrow operation, if you can collect enough brown stuff - next stop, bags of shredded paper?

• darth_weeder
    12 years ago

5 gallons a day from one source sounds pretty good to me.
    I may have to recant my previous statement and find one of these black gold mines.
    Congrats on the score poaky.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't gone back for a few days, but will check tommorrow. My gas tank needed to wait til payday. I use my newspaper to put mulch on for weed control in the garden. I am trying to not be too bothersome to the donut store either. They didn't put out the grounds today because it rained really hard off and on all day and I don't want to go overboard, the owner uses some in his garden. I usually have an excess of tomatoes and will offer them some when the time comes.

• prairiechuck1
    12 years ago

Yes, that is definitely a source you want to 'cultivate'

Home made note cards, cookies, anything to build on the rapport you have established. I sometimes tip the starbucks people when they don't have any grounds for me. Makes them think :)

• danman_2008
    12 years ago

I've talked with about half a dozen SBX. Some are more enthusiastic about helping gardeners out than others, but it also comes down to whether or not it's a standalone Starbucks versus a store inside another store. Every one of the stores within stores have told me they're not part of the grounds for gardens program. It doesn't matter whether it was in a supermarket, Target or university lounge.

For a while I had an arrangement with my local WaWa (a 7-11 type chain) where I would drop off a couple of 5-gallon buckets and they'd fill them with UCG and filters. This was mainly because I had an understanding store manager and asked nicely. I eventually stopped because I had enough UCG.

• Lloyd
    12 years ago

"I had enough UCG."

GASP!!! Is this even possible??

;-)

A local restaurant will save me the grounds/filters but I just don't have time to make a regular pick-up. Three more years to retire and then watch out....

Lloyd

• danman_2008
    12 years ago

Sigh. I had to write the "Enough UCG," my wife (who's convinced I'm nuts) was reading over my shoulder as I posted.

I can't have too many UCGs.

• robertz6
    12 years ago

How much gets pitched?

Well there were 7,950 US Starbucks stores in June 2008 (first google search I found) times 150 pounds grounds per week (probably low) times 52 weeks times .75 estimate what gets pitched
    equals 46 million pounds a year? Most of the weight is water no doubt, like one poster suggested.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Oh, the humusity!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only got a quarter of a 5 gal bucket today, I missed the full bucket before they dumped it earlier. I bought a donut and gave them a clean bucket and took the goods. I have added all the grounds to my tumbler vs straight down in the garden. I need to get the tumbler cooking so I can use the compost this season. I like the tumblers, I know some people don't. I used homemade tublers for 3 years and liked them alot so I bought 2 of the high capacity commercial ones and they are easier for me and the extra size of them is great IMHO. I was near the second closest to me STBX the other day but I had my tired cranky mom with me. I'll try them next time I'm in the area, they are not in another store so maybe I'll get lucky.

• digitaldan1
    11 years ago

I have two SBX in my area and both will save grounds for me if I ask. The closer one has had some problems with another UCG hoarder who sounds like he was a bit of a jerk (don't think he was a gardener) and they really didn't like dealing with him because he was so demanding and rude.

The kids there are very nice to me (I go out of my way to be nice to all the SBX people I deal with since really, they're doing me a favor after all). I use a cane because of an old injury and both SBX insist on carrying the grounds to my car for me. The teens at the closer one have even apologized to me for keeping me waiting when the store was busy and gave me a free iced tea.

I seldom buy things when I'm there but I always toss a buck into their tip jar as a thank you for their efforts. Quite a few of the kids have been interested in finding out what I do with the grounds and are delighted to hear I'm using them to grow things.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Lol! If someone at Starbucks is complaining about a bucket, that is just an excuse to be a jerk. They throw the UCG's in a bucket already right? So why cant they put another bucket for a person out by the trash can if the person supplies it? Or agree to a schedule to pull from the usual can they throw the grounds in? I dont know, something! Im sure they can find a way to accommodate. But also the person who wants the UCG's has to be polite and make an effort to help. Like if you say Ill be in every day to collect, you better collect and dont leave SBX holding the bag. Establish a relationship with the manager. Im not harping on SBX but I can guess what kind of attitudes some of the employees have. Its typical in every retail establishment. Some employees are better than others while some despise customers and act as if its such a big deal to add a small task onto their job. Either way I dont care because if something cant be worked out, Ill go somewhere else.

I have met all types of people in this world. Some are care free and have no complaints and brush problems off like nothing, they take a simple situation and are happy to abide. Then there is the opposite end of the spectrum. The person who looks for complaints. Who finds something negative in every situation. The person who is always to busy to help someone else and who always has some kind of attitude problem as if they are the only ones working.

You just have to find the good ones. And if you have to deal with the bad ones, find common ground by talking with them. If you cannot find a solution for the grounds, move on to the next one:-)

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

Lol! If someone at Starbucks is complaining about a bucket, that is just an excuse to be a jerk. They throw the UCG's in a bucket already right? So why cant they put another bucket for a person out by the trash can if the person supplies it?
    ===========

WRONG!

UCGs go in the trash can that sits under the counter along with all the other trash. To collect the UCGs would require a separate can/bucket and since there isn't much room, that bucket often finds its way on the floor in the work area. I could sense the employee wanted to be accommodating, but apparently they recently came up with a policy.

I'd be willing to take the entire bag of trash and sort through it myself (usually nothing more than a few napkins n straws in there), but I've been told they stopped saving the grounds by more than one person on more than one occasion. I still might try again considering its been nearly a year.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

The barista at a local casino told me that there were three sorts of Starbucks on the one corner where she worked. The kiosk in the casino used Starbucks name and products but were forbidden by law to give away grounds. A Starbucks across the street to the east was owner operated and could do what they wished. A Starbucks across the street to the south was a franchise and obliged to follow Starbucks policy.

The first part abut forbidden by law to give away grounds appears to be correct. I don't know about the other two. One woman in franchised outlet always saves some ground just for me.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

t n gardening...A "trash can" is just a fancy word for a, guess what, BUCKET...lol

Like I said. Certain employees will accommodate a second bucket while others wont. Plain and simple. No "WRONG" about it. It depends on who you talk to and how you try to set up the agreement/pick up schedule. Im not saying every SBX will accommodate.

Its funny you take a small paragraph from my entire post and past a huge WRONG but ignore the rest. Sounds to me like you give up too easy and believe the "bad" ones who wish to deceive you.

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

I have 3 SBX near me. None will save grounds but they will hand me whatever they have in the can under the counter. I don't always buy something but I do put a $ in the tip jar. Sometimes it is a nearly full trash bag, sometimes not many at all. I also ask friends to save their grounds for me. I can get all that I need on a regular basis from the neighbors. My babysitter worked at McDonalds and would bring huge amounts when she worked breakfast. That may be a source for others too.

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

No they dont save them, too many people want them. Im lucky to have one starbucks in my small town and its close , they put the grounds in special bags in a special tub , not the dumpster but in that area. The trick is finding the right time of day to get it. In the summer your lucky to get a bag, but in the winter most people arent trying to get it so that is the time to stock up.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Those of you who work in offices with coffee machines, consider placing a well marked bucket next to the coffee machine for grounds and filters. It's surprising how much material is generated in a week or even a day in an office building with scores of people. A 1-gal ice cream bucket with a snap lid is good for smaller venues. Label it well - "Used Coffee Grounds, Filters and Tea Bags For Composting". Make two and switch it out with an empty one when it's time. Bring a few vegetables to the office to return the favor.