SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Starbucks Coffee grounds retrieval routines

I went to 2 Starbucks yesterday and told them if I could schedule a regular pickup time around 4-5pm if they could save the UCG in those large clear bags every day. They said yes so I was happy to say the least. Well I called today to make sure they had them waiting and 1 said they have a single 5# foil bag so I was disappointed. The other said they have a large bag ready but they only started filling it an hour ago.

Is there a way to have them do it regularly if they know you are coming to pick them up. Does anyone have them just leave them near the dumpster so you don't have to go through the whole wait in line like a customer and then ask embarrassingly for their used coffee grounds?

Has anyone ever just ransacked their dumpster to find bags already filled with used coffee grounds maybe mixed with some light trash? It's not really worth a special trip to either Starbucks just for a small 5# bag. Anyone with tips/helpful advice to score the mother lode each time / every time you go there? I left my name and number so I was hoping I had a sure thing every day but I guess if they forget, they forget...

Comments (26)

• smokensqueal
    15 years ago

The Starbucks I tried to get UCGs from has been very unreliable and inconsistent. I tried to tell them I would be there everyday at a certain time and not once did they have grounds for me. Their excuses ranged from we forgot to someone else picked them up to we don't do that.

So I quite going there and instead I put an ice cream pail next to the coffee pot on the two floors here at work and put a note on them. Now I come home with about 1-2 gallons of UCGs and bannana peels, apple cores, orange peels, and a few other things a day. It's actually worked out great.

• idaho_gardener
    15 years ago

Over a year ago, I started to visit a Starbucks on my way home from work. At first I would stop and get the foil bags they had filled, but soon they became accustomed to me being there every day, including Saturday and Sundays. We soon bypassed the foil bag step and they now keep a bucket (with my name on it) lined with a plastic bag.

I make an effort to learn their names, and always thank them. If someone else gets the coffee grounds before I do, I express pleasure that someone else is also taking advantage of the resource. But I make it a point to get there every day, and they are expecting to see me.

I have left tips now and then, and I sometimes buy an ice caramel mocha or a bag of beans for my brother when the manager is there so that he feels like the reward for the efforts are more than just karmic.

My main point is to be dogged about stopping in, be pleasant about asking, be thankful when they hand over grounds, and be gracious when there are none.

Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Starbucks won't save grounds

Q

Comments (50)
    Lol! If someone at Starbucks is complaining about a bucket, that is just an excuse to be a jerk. They throw the UCG's in a bucket already right? So why cant they put another bucket for a person out by the trash can if the person supplies it? Or agree to a schedule to pull from the usual can they throw the grounds in? I dont know, something! Im sure they can find a way to accommodate. But also the person who wants the UCG's has to be polite and make an effort to help. Like if you say Ill be in every day to collect, you better collect and dont leave SBX holding the bag. Establish a relationship with the manager. Im not harping on SBX but I can guess what kind of attitudes some of the employees have. Its typical in every retail establishment. Some employees are better than others while some despise customers and act as if its such a big deal to add a small task onto their job. Either way I dont care because if something cant be worked out, Ill go somewhere else. I have met all types of people in this world. Some are care free and have no complaints and brush problems off like nothing, they take a simple situation and are happy to abide. Then there is the opposite end of the spectrum. The person who looks for complaints. Who finds something negative in every situation. The person who is always to busy to help someone else and who always has some kind of attitude problem as if they are the only ones working. You just have to find the good ones. And if you have to deal with the bad ones, find common ground by talking with them. If you cannot find a solution for the grounds, move on to the next one:-)
    ...See More

Coffee grounds and grass

Q

Comments (6)
    Yes it will, especially if you have poor soil. In essence, if you feed the soil, you feed the plant even if it's just a blade of grass. UCGs are the only things I have used in the last couple of years on our lawn. We had poor soil - no organic matter in it. DH dug 14 holes on the property first year we were here to get worms to go fishing. Not a worm in sight. Now he just has to go and gently jiggle the base of a perennial in the gardens (yes I also fling it in there) and the worms come pouring out. No kidding. I'm sure others on this forum have seen this picture before, but I'll post it again to show you what our lawn looks like when our neighbours' lawns are brown in the heat of the summer. Just fling the stuff. If you get little piles, take a rake and spread it out. I do it when it's about to rain.
    ...See More

30lbs of coffee grounds a day...

Q

Comments (8)
    fill up a bin w/ coffee grounds and it will NOT heat up - nor will it support worms, as grounds rapidly dry out, except for the very bottom, where all the water will wind up experiment - fill a bucket w/ grounds and set that where ever you'll set up your worm bin - check the temp and moisture regularly for a few days - note they do not heat up, how rapidly they crust over, and after a couple days dump the bucket and see how wet it is at the bottom grounds are about 1.5% N, less than any manures or produce scrap, and about half or less the N of grass clippings, all of which will heat up in quantity - a moderate amount of grounds will do fine in a worm bin, but they need much more than that to thrive, including some coarse materials to promote aeration and some materials that will hold moisture Bill
    ...See More

Best place to buy Starbucks coffee at a discount?

Q

Comments (8)
    My son is a manager at a Starbucks. They routinely have a basket out for people to donate coffee, then they grind it just before it is sent overseas. In our area, a retired military guy comes to pick it up and takes it to the base to be sent. Wouldn't hurt to ask if they would donate to your cause. Where we live, Target and Publix sells it. However, when you open it, it is never as fresh smelling as what you get at the store, esp if it is already ground.
    ...See More
  • greenwood85
    15 years ago

My SB puts a bucket by the door so you can just pop in and out. I wish I could get them to just put them in a big bag and let me pick them up once a day but other people are obviously picking them up at that site as well. Sometimes those people beat me to them. I average about 10 of those silver bags a week.

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

check out my earlier post on "no more starbucks ucg this year" you guys and gals are lucky to get them!

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read that thread dlplasti, sorry to hear about that in your neck of the woods. I was thinking of devising a way to reward them for their efforts. Maybe bringing them roses which are the reward of using the UCG that goes into the compost, which then goes into my soil for the roses. Then again I was thinking they might take that the wrong way though as in it was a way for me to make some kind of romantic gesture towards the cute barista, lol.

On a positive note the one of 3 Starbucks I went to today did have a clear bag and they were saving them (it's the 1 Starbucks that told me they always save UCG as one of the employees there has a bf that works at some garden center or nursery and uses them. At least that is a reliable place that will have a better chance of having more than the foil 5# bags. The other place closer to where I lived the same guy was there and he said he will save them for me so I am happy even if it is sporadic as it will definitely be an improvement to before when I wasn't getting these nice stashes of UCGs regularly.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Tomorrow I'm going to "town" and my errands will take me past 5 SB locations I think. I might score some tomorrow! I think that's the most I've been able to stop at in a day so far (without really going out of the way at least). Hopefully I've planned my timing ok. It would be a shame to have to drive past any of them, but I don't think DH would be too happy if I left him standing, waiting at the airport while I collect UCG's along the way. :-)

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

I have two stores a few blocks apart. It's a trip, but I try to do it at least once a week. The closer didn't do much. The one a few blocks further always has had grounds for me. Usually like 5 or 6 foil bags in the bucket by the door. I always say thanks. I am leaving for a school for 2 mo so I let them know. I'm the only one that's been picking them up. I'll be sure to let them know when I get back.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I did get quite a haul today. I made my 5 stops, plus one grocery store location that I know puts some in the can. I stop in there b/c it's in the same shopping center as the stand-alone. It's not much, but since I'm there anyway... A couple didn't have much, but one store had 5 foil bags, and another had 2 of the trash bags! I ended up with a large trashcan full :-)

Some of the stores are quite close to each other (3 of them on the same stretch of road, just a few miles apart), but passing 5 in a day is rare for me. Just happened that I had errands in 3 parts of town today...

• robertz6
    15 years ago

There is a lot of info on other related threads.

Did you Search for 'grounds' or 'Starbucks'.

• robertz6
    15 years ago

A "Search" using 'starbucks' found 174 hits, a number of them giving answers to your questions.

One thread you will want to read is titled 'no more grounds ...' as I recall. On it a number of composters related their Starbucks, and I gave my method of securing 50-200 pounds of grounds a week.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Robertz thanks. I remember reading the no more grounds thread and other threads. I am glad I finally found someone that actually gets some bags from the dumpsters. I will try that but I didn't know how much trash needs to be sifted through generally and if the trouble was worth it. Also is it legal to even go through their dumster area? Most places are fenced in. Last thing I would need is to get arrested for trespassing, breaking and entering, and stolen goods...

• pvel
    15 years ago

I know this post is about Starbucks. But i have gotten a great supply (3-4 of the 10 gallon garbage bags a week) of coffee grounds and filters from another chain called San Francisco Bread Company. It is closer to my home than Starbucks and they have been very cooperative.I think what helped was stopping by regularly and trying several different stores till I found one that wanted to help.

• robertz6
    15 years ago

The individuals that work at a store seem to have more impact on the availability of used grounds as opposed to the policy of a store or chain. So get to know one or two people at the coffee store. Maybe even give them some tomatoes or garden produce during the productive months.

As to the whether it is a good idea to raid dumpsters, that depends mostly on the actions of the composter. If you have been granted access (once is all it took), and you don't make a mess, in most cases there will be no problem.

As I mentioned in other posts, I have a special tool to grab and remove bags without ripping them open. And I put a Rubbermaid container just outside the bin to catch anything that does leak out. A brush and pan are also kept in the car to clean up any loose grounds that escape. Don't forget to leave the gate in the position it was before you came.

Six years ago there were three grocery stores where one could collect fruit and veggie wastes. Now there is only one, but on a sunday I can still find eight 40 gallon trash bags of veggie waste to cart off. Don't expect anyone to tell you where their favorite collection sites are, they might rethink it and decide you should meet with an accident.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Robertz do you check the dumpsters during the day or in the dark of evening? I am not sure if I hqve the gumption to ask to go through their trash dumpster for used coffee grounds when so far I have received a large bag at one friendly Starbucks anytime I called in advance. If that girl quits then I guess I will have to try a dumpster strategy. Regarding leaving the dumpster in the way it was is important to me also. To be honest I would probably leave it cleaner than before I arrived by picking up trash around the dumster area that may not have ever made the dumpster. That's just the way I am.

• robertz6
    15 years ago

On Dec 25 the dog and I made a point to walk a couple of extra miles out of the way to the Starbucks dumpster. I have always gone directly to the dumpster the last few years of collecting.

Anyway, that day there were three SB employees putting the trash in the dumpster. I asked if they had any grounds to give away. One employee said no. There was not much I could say, although I did resist my natural urge to say thanks. With the bag level above the dumpster, I estimated the contents at 1-4 bags of espresso grounds (what they give you inside the store), and two to eight bags of mixed grounds and trash. I didn't argue, just said OK and left.

So I guess this reinforces my natural instinct to go to the dumpster and avoid the store and employees. If you drink coffee and have a relationship with the employees, it might be different.

• mossinajar
    15 years ago

I work for Starbucks, and I am always pleased when someone asks for grounds. My store saves all our grounds in plastic bags which are taken to a composting center. We are more than happy to hand over as many bags as you like. Due to the rebrewing of coffee every half hour and the espresso bar, we end up with 3 or 4 large garbage bags every day. But if you are going to ask for it, please wait in the line and ask the till person, it's likely that anyone you just walk up to and ask will already be busy with a more pertinent task, we'll still get it for you, but we won't be happy about it. Asking the till person allows for the request to be passed to the least busy person or the floater.
    Also, our organics bin now contains lots of banana peels because of some of our blended drinks.

• val_s
    15 years ago

Hey Moss - welcome to the forum! and thanks for giving us a little insight in Starbucks. I don't think that every Starbucks has your philosophy though. Maybe it helps that you've been a composter. I can only say that I wish we were closer to each other 'cause I'd come to your store ALL the time.

Val

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah Moss welcome to the forum and glad to see some Starbucks are ok about giving the large bags away. I did have a few problems the last week or so. I called in advance like I usually do to tell them I'd be by later in the day like after 6pm and they said ok. I go there and I tell them my name and that I was there to pick up the LARGE trash bag of coffee grounds and they look in the bin where they usually keep the foil wrapped bags and it was empty and she was like sorry... That's happened twice now...

• mossinajar
    15 years ago

Thanks! I'm happy to be here, I was surprised to find such an active forum with people as strange as me.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with trying to acquire grounds. It can be a little hit and miss sometimes, I've worked at 3 different stores; my first store was really bad about saving their grounds, we didn't have room for an organics bin, so everything just went it the trash. We saved our grounds in foil bags for a while, but very few people requested it. I'm sure if you left a message with the manager, or even spoke to them in person and told them that you would be stopping by every day or every second day they would be more than happy to fil up a foil bag or a garbage bag specifically for you. You could even leave your own pail and (at least at my store) we'll fill it up for you.
    If you live in a downtown core, you'll probably have your choice of at least 4 Starbucks.

• violet4491
    15 years ago

Hi! I just wanted to give you my formula. I bought 12 plastic (3 gal.) trash baskets and I lined them with (8 gal.)bags. I drop off two lined containers in the a.m. and bring back two clean lined baskets a couple of days later in the a.m. When I pick those up, UCG and filters go in together. I make sure the trash containers are washed, rinsed and lined. after I dump them. I carry a cement plastic tub in my truck and set the cans, liners and all in the tubs. (just in case of a spill). I worked from three different coffee shops.I tipped and bought mocha or coffee regularly. This worked fine till I went on vacation for a month. My DH picked up only from his favorite coffee house and put the bags in a big pile out in the yard. I had made arrangements with the other two shops that I would be on vacation. When I got home and had to pry frozen bags off the grass and spread them out I thought I would freeze my fingers off.
    "Boy it was cold" After that I made arrangements to wait till spring to collect more grounds. I now have an acre of grass covered with grounds and 5 nice size lasagna beds waiting to plant. I now turn them about every month. Can't wait to get started again. In the mean time my Chiropractor saves me shredded mail and I am still collecting for the next bed. The Cement tub is always in the truck waiting in case I spy any thing I can use in my beds. I love collecting and gardening. This is very addicting!!!

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Reviving this thread due to a few other concurrent threads.

Robertz6, I still never got an answer as to what that tool was that you use and how you get them out of the dumpster. Also with that fateful walk with your dog past that SB on Dec 25th 2008 and with 3 SB employees you encountered where they told you they had no UCGs, did you then go back later to raid their dumpster or would you get that same feeling that you were breaking the law?

• robertz6
    13 years ago

The heavy bags of grounds are taken out with a rake-like thingee I found at the small local hardware store for 5 bucks. The knots that close the bag are about one inch in diameter, so I found an implement that has tines with spacing just less than that. It resembles a short-handled rake, with five or six metal tines at 90 degrees, but is only aprox. six inches wide as opposed to the old metal leaf rake which is about fourteen inches wide. The knot is the only place one can grab the bag with a tool and not break open the bag.

As to the political correctness, or legal nice-a-tees,
    1) Ask the first time
    2) be discreet
    3) clean up any mess you make
    4) if you go inside, get to know once or two of the employees
    5) if they ask you to stop, find another store

If the stores would save most of the grounds I would be happy to go into the store and wait until an employee is free. But as I mentioned in other posts; I estimate that stores pitch 80-90% of the grounds they use.

• humboldt101
    13 years ago

Moss explained it perfectly. I work for Starbucks as well. Some stores keep them already bagged at the door as we do. Don't be embarrassed to ask, but definitely BE PATIENT! Any time someone gives me something for free I make sure I am patient an understanding of THEIR schedule as well. I collect many gardening supplies from businesses and things from Craig's list like used pots. Yesterday I had a guy DELIVER 40 bags of used potting soil, a bag of chicken manure, and an unopened bag of Warrior from Fox Farm. He was moving and wanted it gone. I waited for 3 days for it. In the last 6 months I have collected over 100 bags of used soil and amendments for my veggie garden this way. Patience and understanding works wonders. :)

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Our SB wants a day's notice; they will hand over a boatload if you ask, and are willing to come back.
    In a similar vein, I noticed rotten fruits and veggies being tossed in the garbage at our local ShopRite. I asked if I could take it (I said I'd bring in my own bucket) and they said they would be willing to sell it to me. And not all that cheaply, either; a per pound amount. The thing I love about my compost is that it is all free. I turned down their offer.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I don't have a SB convenient to me. My neighborhood isn't high class enough to ever be graced by SB. However, a couple of local ladies opened a nice little coffee shop here. They seemed delighted to save grounds for me. Said they were happy to see their "garbage" recycled and put to good use.

The place was tiny and didn't do that much business. But I did pick up 2 or 3 five gallon buckets of grounds weekly. I supplied a new, clean bucket each time I picked up. I occasionally bought a cup of coffee (though not those fancy, sissy latte things which I don't like). And all through the summer garden season I brought big beautiful flower bouquets for the shop. I kept them supplied with pretty flowers spring through fall.

Sadly, the shop went out of business a few months ago. Not enough people in this neighborhood are willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee when they can get it down the street at McDonald's for a buck. (Proof that SB knows the meaning of demographics).

Karen

• jolj
    13 years ago

Hi
    idaho gardener- I wish everyone was as kind as you! That is what I did when I picked up anything for free, even manure at a stable.
    Anyone live in or near South Carolina or have a friend here?
    We have two coffee Production plants here. One is a Starbucks, no ground coffee does not grow on trees. :-) Both plants have TONS of chaff to give away. I am getting mine from the other plant, they tell me Starbucks is paying to have it hauled to the landfill. They would rather give it away(it is cheaper for them), but no one is picking it up. I do not know anyone at the Starbucks plant, so this is hear say. I am getting 2-3 dump trucks full of chaff PER WEEK! So you could Load up (pun) if you live here.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm