SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz62_gw

Peace rose

12 years ago

I planted my Peace rose Sunday, how long do you think it will be before I start to see some new growth? Will it need to establish a good root system before putting out any leaves?

Comments (50)

• 12 years ago

You should see the little red bumps on the sides of the canes (called bud eyes) start to swell within a week and it should be fully leafed out in a couple of weeks. Of course that will also depend on the weather. Sunshine and warmth helps that process to move quicker than cold and gray. Keep it well watered but not soggy. If it's very hot where you are you might want to give it a little shade in the hottest part of the day to keep the canes from drying out too much. Do not fertilize it until you have leaves on it.

• 12 years ago

Should I cover up my peace rose tonight and tomorrow night? It is supposed to dip down in {{gwi:248780}}
    I covered it last night with a plastic bucket. 5 gallon of course.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.usthe low 30's.

• Related Discussions

Love and Peace Rose

Q

Comments (2)
    Portia: Good question, my clay soil is high in magnesium, and I get more "yellow" on my Crown Princess Mag., versus Khalid's loamy soil with more phosphorus available, which shift his CPM to the pinkish zone. One site quoted to have deeper yellow: add magnesium. I agree. My yellows are very intense. Clay soil, be it acidic or alkaline, is rich in magnesium.
    ...See More

Peace Rose plant issue puzzled

Q

Comments (12)
    As Embo said, the leaves are sunburned. Any plant that has been started indoors, even under lights, needs to be slowly introduced to the stronger rays of the sun outdoors. So start in dappled shade or a little morning sun and slowly give it a bit more sun every few days, a process called hardening off. Also, standard potting soil tends to hold too much moisture for many plants and will break down relatively quickly so aren’t great for long term growing. Your plant dropped leaves due to stress caused by a sudden change in its growing conditions and perhaps less than ideal potting medium adding a bit to the stress. As Dingo said, once acclimatized to outdoors, growing in the ground is easier than in pots, particularly in an area with cold winters like Michigan. If it will be remaining in a pot, go over to the container gardening forum and read about potting mixes for long term health. You will need a cool place that is more temperate than outdoors to store your rose for the coldest months as it likely won’t survive in a pot even if it will survive planted in the ground in your area. Pots freeze solidly in cold zones even though the ground doesn’t, and the small mass of the pot has a lot of temperature fluctuation as the seasons change, both of which are hard on plants. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/contain
    ...See More

Peace rose has no growth on it yet...possibly died out over winter?

Q

Comments (6)
    I have been worrying the same thing on a few of my roses. I've had the most dieback ever this year on my older established roses (as far as I can recall). I am sure that it must be due to the prolonged spell - a few weeks -- of temps where the highs only struggled to the low 20s. We usually only have a week to ten days of such cold at the end of January. Four of my new roses planted last summer are showing nothing so far. Another that I held over in a pot, with the pot sunk into the compost pile, is also showing nothing -- but another held the same way is leafing out. And yet the nine grocery store mini roses, that I didn't really expect to survive in pots sunk into either the compost pile or into an empty patch of ground, all survived and are growing.
    ...See More

Lots of buds on my old Peace rose

Q

Comments (15)
    GardeningTeenager - I love that you rescue roses and other plants! Many of my best roses were ones I saw next to the sidewalk on my walks around town, and took cuttings to root. (twice the rose in question had been totally eaten by a hedge, and only one little cane was sticking out of the hedge, with a bloom on it, for example). So, in addition to purchasing them, you might want to think about taking walks around your town and looking for them. Neglected plants which you find near you, which are still growing and blooming turn out to be the best ones because they: 1) Have survived in your climate with little or no care. 2) Are free 3) Like your climate a LOT - I have found that that is the main "secret" to growing happy roses. Rooting roses is easy - it just takes some time. Where do you live, approximately? Once we know what type of climate you live in, folks on here can make recommendations for types of older roses which would do well. Really old roses tend to be easier to grow (no spraying, for example, and sometimes even hardly any pruning needed, etc.). So far it sounds as if you have started very well on your gardening adventures - it is a lifelong hobby which will bring joy to you for your whole life, Jackie
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago

Peace has always been a slow starter here. It was actually sp'd the year I first planted it bare root because it was idle so long I was sure it was DOA. Weeks later I noticed it putting forth growth as it lay in the brush pile. Back to the garden it went!

I transplanted it to its third home in the fall. Of the four roses I transplanted, it has the least growth thus far. Peace is also the shortest of any rose I have grown.

But.........the blooms are the biggest and well worth the wait:

{{gwi:219315}}

• 12 years ago

If you have frost or freeze warnings cover it again.

I'd cut off those black tips on the canes as well. When you snip them off look at the center of the canes. If it's greenish white or creamy it's OK. If it's dark tan or brown you're still at dead wood. Keep clipping until you reach that white/creamy center. And that skinny cane in the back of the picture can go as well. It looks weak and unhealthy. Some people say to try and peel the wax off the canes but I don't. I did more damage trying to remove it than leaving it on did.

Keep it well watered but not soggy and be patient. I don't know where you live but it probably hasn't been all that warm there if you are still having frost warnings. Once the weather starts to really warm up it will take off.

• 12 years ago

My neighbor came over and mowed our grass, unfortunately he also skinned the rose, I will try to post a picture and will you let me know whether to try to save it or throw it away.{{gwi:248783}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 12 years ago

Liz, I am SO sorry, what a bummer!! GOod luck with this!! btw, I have a Peace rose in texas and it is 5 to 6 feet tall, a bit lanky, as it has to stretch for the sun, but blooming away! planted it in a lousy place, as I bought it cheap, mid summer. Thought I'd move it to a better spot when it cooled down and never did. Good luck!!

• 12 years ago

That guy is still putting out new canes. Dig in some alfalf around it after you cut it down to the new growth on the left side can. Cant see the right side but look for buds on that side too. cut it down to a about 1/4 " above the bud eyes. Alfalfa and water. I have a Peace that was my Mom's for over 60 yr. And with just a bit of care it is jumping back to life. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

• 12 years ago

Arrrgh! I think I'd lose it completely if that happened to me, lol!

First off you need to clip off those damaged canes. I see a nice red bud eye just below the damage on the cane to the left. Cut just above that eye. Then I'd seal the tips and any areas where the bark has been taken off with some wood glue or nail polish so insects and diseases can't get in. Like that area just below that eye on the right side cane where it looks like the bark has been taken off. I do see green there so the rose is not dead and should sprout some new growth.

Good luck and keep us posted on how she does!

• 12 years ago

I am afraid it might be curtains for the rose, it has not done anything I went out and scraped a small spot and it was not green, does that mean death and is there ay other way to figure out if it is still alive?

• 12 years ago

The other way to find out if it is alive is to wait another 6 weeks or so. Sorry to say this, but from looking at the initial condition of your plant, it wasn't a strong healthy specimen to begin with. The canes are banged up, there are black and brown areas, and there is a red line indicating canker infection. A quality bareroot will have fat green canes that are not scratched or dinged.

Not to say that an initially poor looking bare root cannot become a strong healthy rose; you simply increase your chances of short and long-term success by starting with a healthy specimen. Think of them like produce. When you go to the grocery store, and apples are on your list, do you just skip them that week if they are all spotted and soft? Same thing with plants. Look for the good fresh looking ones.

If you do see some growth from your 'Peace', make sure it is not rootstock from below the graft. That will be a different, less desirable rose, not 'Peace'.

Good luck!

• 12 years ago

There is another red eye bud and I cut off the other damaged cane, I noticed that the color was green, how can I tell if it is a different rose than a Peace? A friend gave this one to me, he got it from Big Lots. His had greenery on it when he decided to plant it, I hope mine makes it, otherwise I might go get me another one.

• 12 years ago

Big Lots sells bottom-of-the-barrel roses, the leftovers that growers and wholesalers would otherwise throw out. The original might not be a 'Peace' at all. You won't know unless it is able to bloom.

• 12 years ago

I am sorry for your difficulties with your Peace. I agree that the specimen looks in poor shape in your first picture. I even wonder if it is a viable rose. The problem is that even if the root stock is dead and non-viable, the canes may still send out some shoots, which will quckly wither off once they start to leaf out. It is not clear from any of the pictures as to the condition of the root stock. It looks like you may have grown it with a large part of the root stock (the "stem" between the ground and the upper branching "crown"). Perhaps you could post a picture of this part of the plant so forumers can assess it's health. It this part looks dead, then it may not be worth your while to spend too much effort and time over it.

• 12 years ago

ok, I went out and looked real close at it and the tips of the little noddles are green, and there is another red eye, I took a picture of it so you can see what I mean. I have not grown it at all, I got it and planted it about April 15th. I will try to get a picture of what you are talking about and you can tell me if it is worth trying to save.{{gwi:248785}}

• 12 years ago

No it isn't. Dig it up and get yourself a good rose from a reputable nursery - for sure, some people can do miraculous things with dying and damaged roses but it is disheartening to struggle on with an unhealthy plant and more often, you end up beating yourself up and thinking the fault is yours.

• 12 years ago

Is this is a good sign? There are a few more little red eye buds on my rose, can someone tell me if this is good or not.{{gwi:248786}}

• 12 years ago

Here is a picture of the rose as of 5/13/2012, as you can see it is growing quite well.{{gwi:248787}}

• 12 years ago

I think you have the heart of a rescuer. We need people like you in this world.... for roses and other living things.

Miss Mary

• 12 years ago

It seems to be trying hard to survive - but what's with the surrounding stony ground? I think it needs more accommodating soil if it's going to thrive

• 12 years ago

{{gwi:248788}}

• 12 years ago

Dear Liz62,

I wouldn't give up just yet. I have a bodybagged Blue Moon on life support which looks worse than your rose.

This spring I was brousing on the Witherspoon site. That company recommends covering all bareroot rose bushes, in all climates, with a mound of some loose material. It looked in their pix like they were using coir. I think the idea is to protect the new plants from wind and sun. I used mounds of compost and straw on the body bagged roses I bought this spring, and except for the above mentioned Blue Moon, all appear to be thriving. The covering can be removed after the sprouts begin to leaf out, and weather conditions improve. Where I live, cold, dry wind is a major hazard.

Big Lots is probably the worst place in the entire USA to buy roses. BL buys body bags from who knows where, and throws them in a heap inside their heated stores, with no water or care of any kind. Places like Lowes at least keep the body bags in cooler locations. They have even been known to spray with a water wand on occasion.

Good luck with your rescue project.

• 12 years ago

That all looks like healthy new growth to me. Congratulations!

• 12 years ago

do you think it will bloom this summer?

• 12 years ago

It should bloom this year but probably not until later in the season. It will need to put on some considerable growth before it will set blooms.

• 12 years ago

Once Peace establishes itself it is so healthy and prolific. It didn't get so popular just by luck. :)

• 12 years ago

Keep on caring for it. Some of my toughest roses were hard luck cases. I once brought home a rose from the top of a trash heap where it had been cast out no soil on the roots to die. It was a beauty. I never knew what it was. Canker finally got it many years later. Peace is so pretty. I hope your rose is Peace. Remember don't get too excited and burn it with too much food when it's just getting going.

• 12 years ago

So far I have only fed it once a month because it is not gotten really established yet, but here is a picture I took this afternoon, from her rocky start she is doing quite well I think. I named her "rosey", that might be silly but I talk to her and stroke her gently and she seems to respond by growing more every time I go out and look at her.{{gwi:248791}}

• 12 years ago

I have so enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the photos of your rose come back to life!

I recently purchased a peace rose, it was not bagged but might as well have been, just one of those small plastic containers. Anyway, it looks probably worse than your first one did but I'm an optimist and hope that mine will do as well as yours is!

Best wishes to Rosey :) Very sweet.

• 11 years ago

updated pic of rosey in her green dress, as you can see she has her thorns now so I really think she is established well, I am still just going to feed her once a month and water, water,water. She got 3 big containers of water last night at around 9. I was going to wait until it cooled but it did not! So I wi{{gwi:248793}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.usll post a pic of her.

• 11 years ago

Is there such a thing as too much water for rosey? I don't want to overwater but it has been so hot and dry that she deserves some water every night. She is looking so good and green and hopefully some day she will reward us with a beautiful bloom, does anyone know how much she has to grow before she will bloom?

• 11 years ago

I am not an expert by any means but I wanted to respond to your last post. Whenever you water your roses, it should always be in the morning so that the leaves will have a chance to dry off by dark. When water sits on leaves all night it encourages fungus, mold and whatever else. I learned that many years ago when I was growing orchids:)

Maude

• 11 years ago

As you can see, there is a bud! I am really surprised that it is going to bloom at all. Here {{gwi:248794}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.usis the picture.

• 11 years ago

{{gwi:248797}}

• 11 years ago

I went out to see rosey's bud and it had fallen off, here it is a picture of it,{{gwi:248799}}

• 11 years ago

Looks like something ate it.

• 11 years ago

It will set another one won't it?

• 11 years ago

Here she is, she is not growing very big yet, could that be because of the heat? I gave her some Miracle-Gro and now her bottom leaves are yellow, is that anything to worry about?{{gwi:248802}}

• 11 years ago

Bottom leaves on hybrid teas often turn yellow like that--could be too much water. Often it is just that they are older leaves and the plant is shedding them.

It is understandable when you "rescue" a rose to be very concerned about its welfare, but I'm kinda thinking you may be worrying too much--and that might not be good for the rose.

If I were you, I'd quit feeding it during this hot weather--puts quite a strain on a rose. It isn't going to bloom any faster--and you could harm it with too much food.

In hot weather, water is the only important issue--but I'm also a bit worried that you may be over-watering--that much every night sounds like more than my established roses could take, and yours is a new, developing one. Overwatering can kill a rose also. I'd cut back on watering also--but keep a close eye on the rose during this heat. Stick your finger down 4 inches somewhere around the base of the rose and see if it is dry down there. If not, don't water--or not such a large amount.

It's hard to say sometimes without having the rose sitting in front of us, but I do think you need to relax and let the rose do its thing more on its own and in its own time--with occasional assists from you. : )

We are all looking forward to seeing Rosey bloom!

Kate

• 11 years ago

Martha, your Peace looks normal. The breeding of this rose has much of a species which resents being dried out in cold storage before planting. That isn't anything you have control over so don't worry about it. It can be devilishly slow to recover from it if the producer didn't treat it properly or if it dried out on a store shelf or in transit.

Yes, this heat can slow its growth. Instead of being able to use the water to grow and flower, extreme heat and brilliant sun causes it to "sweat" the water out the stomata, the pores on the under sides of the leaves. So, like us, it sweats instead of using the water as it needs. That's one reason to make sure you keep your garden properly watered in high heat. It's probably not a great idea to feed it with anything during the high heat. Fertilizers are salt, or organics break down into salts, the only form of the nutrients the plant is able to absorb. You know how you feel when you're this hot and you eat or drink something salty. Just keep it watered until the worst of the heat is over, then you can get around to feeding it.

The plant is genetically programmed to flower in an effort to reproduce the species. In this heat, it's using the resources it has to stay alive and try to flower. If you pinch off ONLY the tiny flower buds (leave all the leaves on the plant as they feed and protect the wood from sun burn), you will trigger the plant to produce more canes and leaves in an attempt to produce more flowers, to produce more seeds to reproduce itself.

It's been determined in floral research back in the seventies that it required 35 perfect leaves to produce one perfect flower for the varieties tested. Of course what your rose requires in your conditions is going to vary a lot, but that gives you an idea of what kind of plant you need under the flowers you expect. The more canes and foliage you encourage the plant to develop, the larger, fuller and more flowers it will be able to produce. Not letting it form flower buds until it is more the plant you want will encourage it to become that plant faster. It will mature into the plant because it will be using the resources it has to grow instead of blooming. I know it's hard not to let it give you the color you want, but it will become a much better plant, with much better flowers in much greater quantity, much more quickly if you simply keep it watered through the high heat and don't let it form flower buds. Pinch only the buds off while they are still tiny so it doesn't waste the resources to form them. Once it's a larger, fuller, more mature bush, you can feel comfortable letting it bloom. The flowers it's likely to produce at this immature, stunted size and in this high heat aren't going to be the size, color nor quality you want anyway. Why waste the time and resources letting it give you lower quality flowers now, when you can put them to better use for better flowers in greater quantity later? Kim

• 11 years ago

Thank you very much Kim, I will follow your advice. It has been raining much of the morning so I don't think I will need to water it for quite a while, I have a tendancy to obsess about things like flowers, I want to do what is best for them but just leaving them alone is hard for me to do. I do not have a lot of patience, our ground where Rosey is is clay so to put my finger down 4 inches, I have to make a hole with a screwdriver! But I will do what you suggested, maybe like you said, I ought to leave it alone for a while. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

• 11 years ago

You were right Kim, I left it alone and it has grown new leaves, of course it is cooler now and we have gotten some rain too. Like I said it is hard for me not to do anything, but it seems to be working, I guess you can care too much for something and actuall{{gwi:248805}}
    Uploaded with ImageShack.usy kill it with kindness.

• 11 years ago

You were right Kim, I left it alone and it has grown new leaves, of course it is cooler now and we have gotten some rain too. Like I said it is hard for me not to do anything, but it seems to be working, I guess you can care too much for something and actuall{{gwi:248805}}
    Uploaded with ImageShack.usy kill it with kindness.

• 11 years ago

I am sorry, somehow I posted the same message twice, I went out and Rosey must love this cooler weather and brief rainfall we are getting, she is putting out new leaves and beautiful red color on the new leaves. It {{gwi:248806}}
    Uploaded with ImageShack.usis good to see.

• 11 years ago

here is a better picture of the new growth, when winter comes, should I put a bucket over her to protect her from the weather, or just let her alone?{{gwi:248807}}

• 11 years ago

I'm in Zone 6 and I don't do any special winter protection for my roses, although I've been known to kick some fallen oak leaves blown in from my neighbor's yard over and around some of my newer roses. You might want to do that also. If so, wait until about December--maybe even January--to worry about doing it--after it gets down to freezing.

It has been some years since I grew Peace, but I don't remember doing anything special to winter protect it, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Kate

• 11 years ago

updated picture of rosey.{{gwi:248809}}

• 11 years ago

It's getting bigger and looking healthy! I'll bet it blooms beautifully by next spring (if not this fall).

Kate

• 11 years ago

So there is a chance she might bloom this fall? I go out and brush the leaves away from her, and this last weekend I cut the high grass around the bricks so she looks neater. I have not fed her since the temperatures were high, I always believed the old saying if it aint broke don't fix it, she is doing well, I don't think I am going to do anything to her right now.

• 11 years ago

Roses often have a final blooming cycle in the fall when the temps cool off a bit, so who knows what your rose will do during its first year of "recovery."

Usually for Zone 6, last feeding for the year should be around Aug. 15, although some people push it to the end of the month. Given the way our weather has changed the past year--almost no winter at all last winter--I'm not sure what would be wise advice at this point in time. But I'd think with all that good new green growth on your plant, it has the capacity to feed itself very well now.

Kate

• 11 years ago

rosey is doing quite well.