SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

GH ideas and questions

wordwiz
15 years ago

One way or the other, I will have a greenhouse up by this fall. Been visiting a lot of different forums, reading articles, even have a book that covers a ton of stuff. But where it has led me is to the "educated idiot" status. There is still so much to consider and I'm sure there is stuff I don't know that I don't know or even need to think about.

The basic design I'm sure about - a lean to type. The back (north) and west wall will be wood - the amount of light I will lose is minimal. My office window faces the same way but does not have a clear roof or side walls, yet tomatoes, lettuce, beans and peas are doing quite well in it. It will be 12 feet wide by about 16 feet long. That will allow for two 4' benches which can hold a total of 70 seed trays with a 4' space between to work in, or 60 hydro buckets with 1.5' on one side of each row and 3' in the middle.

The wideside walls will be detachable so once the weather gets warm enough I can remove them. The back wall I'm hoping I can get away with only being 8' tall with the front one 6'. I don't know if that is enough slope over 12 feet or not. If I have to, I can go with a 10' back wall.

The covering for the roof, front and east side wall will be plastic, but what type I don't know. Clear vs. translucent? Special GH film or 6-mil plastic? The type that is UV resistant and refracts heat back inside or not?

Probably will not have any special lighting - maybe a couple of shop lights or CFL bulbs so I can see after dark but no grow lights. Going back to the plants in the office - even without near as much light, they are doing great.

Heating will be via two electric heaters that should be enough to keep 200 sq. ft. above 50 degrees except in sub-zero nights. For those 6-8 nights per year, I'll have a kerosene heater that will provide 20,000 BTU. I would also like to install a very basic passive solar heating system. Typically, in OH winters, the most frigid nights have bright, sunny days. This might have to wait a year, though.

So what haven't I thought of and what is your recommendation for covering? Plexiglass and other high priced options are not options this year!

Mike

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES