SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Advice for Short, Non-Stop, Low-Maintenance, Yellow Flowers

steve1young
12 years ago

Hi All,

Please forgive me, in advance, for what may seem like a ridiculous amount of stipulations, but I'm looking for something very particular and figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm looking for a rather stout plant (6-12 inches would be ideal, but could possibly go to 18 inches) with bright yellow flowers (not pale yellow like C. 'Moonbeam') that will take brutal completely all-day sun. The bed can get a bit dry at times, but the soil is pretty decent (not overly rich, but pretty friable and well-drained).

Here's the clincher: I want flowers all summer long and into fall. I don't want to deadhead too much (if at all) and I don't want something that will spread like crazy. Mellow spread (like C. 'Moonbeam') would be OK. I'm using them in a repeat group pattern so we're talking about 5-6 plants.

I'm considering Gaillardia 'Mesa Yellow', Coreopsis grandiflora 'Goldfink', Coreopsis verticillata 'Golden Gain', and Coreopsis pubescens 'Sunshine Superman'.

I've tried other Coreopsis grandifloras and 'Jethro Tull', but found the dead-heading to be a real drag for 6 plants. I realize that sounds kind of whiney. Sorry. Oh, poor me. lol :)

Anyhow, I really appreciate any advice or words of wisdom from you'all.

Happy Gardening!

Steve

Comments (9)