SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Compost ready enough.... More like leaf mold (I think).

emyers
15 years ago

Made my first batch of compost in the fall of last year.

Made with layers of leaves and alfafa meal in wire round bins that are 4 feet in diameter and 4 feet high.

The material has lost about half it's initial height and is down to ballpark 2 feet by 4 feet now.

I only turned the pile once (maybe twice?) so far and was wondering if it would be ok to apply to garden now and till in or if it would be better to wait until next year.

The material is definitely still "matted" leaves, but it's very moist (except at the edges.

I'm assuming at it's level of decomposition it would be described as some sort of leaf mold but I did apply alfalfa meal to it so.....

If I go ahead and till it in and plant my cool season vegetables in it am I gonna get nitrogen tie up? Any other problems?

I still have about 6 weeks before I need to plant tomatoes/peppers and the rest of the summer vegetables to get some air into it to break down better.... so maybe there is hope for those. Do you think 6 weeks is enough time to turn it into true compost?

Anyway, really wondering what everyone thinks I should do with it at this point to make the best use of it.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!