SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huisman98

Need Help Selecting Shrubs & Trees to plant along Back Fence

huisman98
17 years ago

I am in Raleigh, NC and have a small backyard (50Âx 25Â) that I am trying to populate with either small trees or tall growing shrubs to help provide some nice landscaping while achieving some privacy from very close neighboring homes. My neighbors 6Âwood plank fence runs along the first 41Â of the back of my yard and then terminates at a 5 year old maple tree. The fence is set back about 25 feet from the back of my house. The area receives direct sun almost all day, has very clayey soil and is on a slight slope. What I am looking for is some tree or shrub to start next to a small maple (7 years old) tree on the one back corner of my property and run them all along the 41Â foot fence and then terminate at the opposite back corner of my property. I would like something that is evergreen and grows at least 12Â to 15Â tall but no more than 4Â-7Â wide. Originally I was thinking about emerald green arborvitaes, but the guy at my local nursery says they can turn an ugly brown in the winter. We have also been considering a tea olive hedge (Osmanthus frangas), but I think the species we like only grows to 10Â high and is a very slow grower.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should consider growing in this area? If we do go with the arborvitaes or tea olive, is their something we could plant on the corner of the backyard to match up with the existing maple in the other corner (other than another maple) so the back yard would look balanced?

Please help me make yard beautiful!

Comments (4)