SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Need help with shrubs along the fence...

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I'm planning to fence around my kitchen garden this spring. It will only be a 3' tall wire fence, so it won't keep the deer out, but it will keep them from 'munching through' the garden and give me a sense of enclosure :)

Anyway, I've been trying to decide how to plant around this fence. It's a pretty large garden, with the arbor and a few beds in the middle, but the perimeter bed is big. I want to plant annual vegetables and flowers on the inside...and I'd love to put perennial fruits, herbs and flowers (deer resistant) on the outside, but I need help with all these weeds!

I don't mind weeding the garden, but the outside is going to be more difficult. I don't usually care for mulch, but any ideas of what I can put around the blueberries? I have them on two sides of the garden. Do I have to mulch? Will my strawberries, eventually, crowd out the weeds? Can I put some catmint with them?

While weeding is a pain, I don't mind really 'attacking' them for a year or two, if I can get them more under control. Last year, I got too busy with my rose, fairy and woodland beds, so the kitchen garden got a little overrun. I'm hoping for more success this year!

Thank you for any ideas. My favorite plants for crowding out weeds are alyssum, strawberries and sweet woodruff, but I'm happy to try anything to keep those darn weeds at bay...especially outside the fence :)

While most of you know this, I'm organic only (no poisons) and this garden used to be the horse pasture! Beautiful soil, lots of water available...and a weed's paradise! LOL

Here's a picture, from last fall, to give you an idea of the size of my garden.

{{gwi:25285}}

Here's a close up of the arbor, with the perimeter bed behind it.

{{gwi:45502}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County