SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

He!!...Hail

melissa_thefarm
12 years ago

I am getting tired of this weather. Starting three days ago the rain was finally supposed to be slacking off after soaking us for the entire month of April, and the sun to begin showing itself--which happened--but then the wind roared and howled all night long, and part of the next day and night. This morning was decent enough weather that I walked the dog down to town while the clouds increased, but late this morning it HAILED, and HAILED again. Oh, come on. We have a fire going in the wood stove, and are looking forward to spring.

In fairness I must say that we badly needed the rain we've gotten this April, and our current situation is vastly improved with respect to a month ago, when we were looking forward to a really nasty summer drought. We've stopped worrying about drought and are now worrying about landslides, which is preferable. Water is the most important thing. All the same, the roses would like some sun; quite a few of them have an unhappy air I can only attribute to an overlong spell of drippy wet sunless weather. And really, the hail I have done without. And the howling winds. The forecast for the coming week predicts mostly sun, seasonal temperatures, and weak to moderate winds: can it be that we'll enjoy a spell of pleasant weather??? I'll believe it when I see it. Gardener and garden will be highly contented if it's true.

My pollen allergies held off for a month this year before they appeared, but made up for the respite by arriving in force: I've had a sinus headache and runny nose for three or four days now, in spite of my taking my usual, and usually effective, antihistamine. A lot of plants have a slightly chlorotic appearance. I wonder if this is not the result of the heavy soil staying steadily wet for this month; I usually don't see chlorosis in the garden. Could lack of sun also be a problem?

On the positive side, snails seem to be fewer than usual; and we have so far no more than the usual complement of rose-eating beetles: last year we suffered a plagues-of-Egypt invasion that ruined most of the flowering of the roses, and of the peonies and lilacs as well. Perhaps all the hot dry weather last year discouraged their reproduction.

My first peony opened up: P. mollis, related to P. officinalis, a single flower and, to my eyes, very lovely. I have a few varieties of Officinalis peonies and would like to get more. These are European herbaceous peonies, more popular before the advent of P. lactiflora from China than currently, but you can still find them if you look around. They flower a little earlier than the Lactifloras.

I neglected to pick up one of the tree peonies on sale at one of the local supermarket chains when I went there to buy tea, and have been kicking myself ever since. One should always buy tree peonies. It doesn't matter whether you have room for them or not; for tree peonies, you MAKE room, and design the garden around them if need be. I'm keeping my eyes open for a deep violet variety that will go with my yellow-variegated euonymus and deep purple lilac 'Andenken an Ludwig Spaeth'. Currently I have a pink one with a touch of yellow, or cream, in the color, and when I see it in bloom next to the euonymus it sets my teeth on edge. Actually it's not my favorite color anyway, but horrible in this location. Definitely I need a deep violet tree peony there.

I hope you all are enjoying good spring weather!! What's going on in your gardens?

Melissa

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County