SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisagardener

I just had to tell somebody who would understand....

louisagardener
15 years ago

I am a long-time reader and first-time poster. (That's right folks, I've been lurking! The hubs teases me all the time about being "addicted" to the GardenWeb forums, especially the SCM forum. He's gonna have a fit when he finds out I've started actually posting... haha!)

Anyway, I work for a produce cooperative and I get loads of moldy produce. I have been making some lasagna beds with that produce, some coffee grounds, and LOTS of leaves (I live in the midst of a forest, so leaves are no problem for me... hehe). After I had built my beds, I had quite a bit of moldy produce left, so I thought I'd go ahead and get started on a nice big compost pile.

When I first piled up the greens and the browns, the pile was probably about 5'x4', and about 4' tall. I was pretty proud of myself. I have been adding kitchen scraps, tissues and tp rolls, etc since then.

Then, today I went to add some coffee grounds (not a whole lot... I collect them from a local coffee shop, but I only get what they have on hand when I stop by... they don't save them up like SB does) and some kitchen scraps. Since some of the kitchen scraps were left over chinese food, I figured I would put it down in the middle of the pile.

Well, I got my garden fork to pry down into the pile... and it was STEAMING. I did not expect that! This being my first *real* compost pile (I had one before, but I didn't yet know what I was doing and it was basically just a place to dump kitchen scraps), I did not expect at all for it to warm up, especially since I started the pile in the cold weather... I figured I would do something wrong or whatever and it wouldn't "work right". Well, you gotta love Mother Nature... pile things up, and they rot. Go figure. :)

Anyway, when I saw that I was so giddy that that I squealed to myself for the next hour or so... and I just had to share with somebody who I knew would understand why I'm so excited!! :)

Thanks for listening!!

~ Christine :)

Comments (33)