SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye5755

Greenhouse Plans

buckeye5755
13 years ago

Hello everyone! New to Garden Forum's here. Been growing Tropicals for about 2 years now. Mainly just Bananas and Palms. I've been using Grow Lights and pots, but wanted something different, and running out of space inside. So I had the idea for a greenhouse. I've kinda detailed my plan below, and want some feedback. I want to make sure this is possible, since I don't see many people constructing it the way I'm thinking.

After 2 years dealing with Pots and Grow Lights, I want to start over and plant Banana's in the yard. Most of my varieties max out at 8-10 foot. So I would need a greenhouse this tall. Being in Ohio, obviously I need protection for them. My goal is to have a few varieties in a area roughly 8x10 planted directly in the ground, with Soil heating cables running along the entire perimeter and through the middle. I would leave them out in the elements during May-September, but come October would put up a Greenhouse roughly 10x12 over them. I would build this out of wood, and create a double wall of poly with air inflation, and wire a heater with roughly 15k BTU to heat it.

Do you think that this setup would work to allow banana's to grow directly in the ground during the winter here in Ohio? Any and all comments welcome!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH