SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
princess_mimi

Please, help me with my greenhouse plans!

princess_mimi
16 years ago

Junkers! Put on your Thinking Caps!

I posted on the greenhouse forum but they were not very helpful. I guess that they just don't have the creative urges that we do here. One person actually told me to just go BUY one! Where's the fun in that?

OK. Here's what I've got:

all the 2'x 4' tempered glass I want. DH works for a store fixture manufacturer and they don't need the tempered glass shelves that are taking up room in their warehouse. There are pallets of it!!!!!!!!

4 large sheets (4'x 6') of not tempered glass.

7 old window sashes with mullions all the same size, in good condition.

Purchasing the lumber necessary is a given. I'm saving a ton on the glass and freecycled a storm door already so that's OK.

I have every kind of saw except a radial arm saw and a scroll saw and was a farm girl raised by a shop teacher so I'm not afraid to tackle this. I even have a finish nailer, my latest toy!

I would like to be able to take the greenhouse apart and move it since we plan to get some acreage in about a year. I'm thinking modular. I'd like to be able to start things in it in early spring. I am planning on a passive heating system--barrels of water that heat up in the day and keep it warm during the night. I'd make the north side solid with a vent fan opening.

Here's what I was thinking. I can make the frames for the tempered glass from pressure treated 2x4's that I make parallel grooves in to hold the glass making double pane windows. Miter the corners and caulk in the glass. I know that they won't be completely weather tight just better than single pane. How do I hold them together in a fairly weather tight manner that can be disassembled. Mending plates and caulk? Screw them to a frame?

Also, I am thinking about making the roof hinge open for ventilation in the summer. I'd just weather strip that in on the edges I think.

I know that you all will have some great input. You always do. Please, forgive me for posting on that 'other' forum first. I won't do it again! =)

Thanks!

~~Mimi

Comments (2)