SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djole_gw

Need your opinion on soil management concept

Djole
11 years ago

A friend gave me permission to use empty land on his plot to grow tomatoes organically. The soil is heavy clay, and from what I could see mostly lifeless in terms of SFW due to the extreme drought we had last summer (i buried some leaves mid-autumn, dug them out a few days ago and not much had happened to them since then, except that they've gotten discolored and slimy). Only scarce lawn was growing there for years, with not much left of it since it was stone dry the whole previous summer. I'm waiting for lab results of soil test, but I doubt there will be any surprises (most of the soil around Belgrade, Serbia is very similar - clayish and low in all macro nutrients). So I thought I'd do the following:

Since I have some wooden material at my disposal (old apple, pear and cherry trees, not too much though), I wanted to dig up a channel and lay the logs/branches/sticks on the bottom, as the basis of a pseudo - sunken - hugelkultur system (I'd try to keep it leveled with the rest of the plot instead of making a raised bed).
Next layer would be Siforga 5-3-8, pelleted turkey manure, and then over it probably some grass clippings.
I'd cover it with soil then, and apply microbial fertilizer to boost the damaged SFW. The one I have at my disposal is composed of:
Bacillus megaterium 3 x 10(7)/cm3
Bacillus licheniformis 2 x 10(7)/cm3
Bacillus suptilis 12 x 10(7)/cm3
Azotobacter chtoococcum 1 x 10(7)/cm3
Azotobacter vinelandi 5 x 10(7)/ cm3
Derxia sp ��"3 x 10(7)/cm3
(nitrogen fixers and phosphoric mineralizators).

I have some concerns (and thus questions) regarding this method:
To what extent will it produce heat, and is there any danger of plants being burned?
Related to that, what would be the good time to start implementing all of the above? The transplantation date for tomatoes here is May the 1st.

Of course I'm open to suggestions if You think there is a better way to manage that soil. The scale is around 300 tomatoes and I'm on a narrow budget. The plot is next to a forest, I could "borrow" some material, provided it doesn't damage the eco-system.

Thanks,
Djole

This post was edited by Djole on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 13:03

Comments (6)