SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hdcochran

Designing My New Greenhouse

hdcochran
17 years ago

I am trying to design and build a 12x12 greenhouse with a pressure treated wood frame and twin or triple wall polycarbonate glazing. I have three remaining major concerns:

1. Warping of pressure treated studs and rafters leading to leaks around polycarbonate panels. Are kiln-dried after treating ACQ 2x4's enough better with respect to warping to warrant the extra cost? Are there other approaches to minimizing the warping?

2. Door and Window Vents I'd like to have a door as wide as possible between 4x4 posts on 4' centers; what is the cheapest mostly glass or polycarbonate door that will be weather tight and durable? Likewise, I'd like to put two roof vents between 2x4 rafters on 4' centers; what is the cheapest glass or polycarbonate awning window that will be weather tight and durable? Can a good carpenter make these with polycarbonate glazing?

3. Drawings or Blueprints I have made pretty good scale drawings (gable ends, side elevation, and plan) of the framing. Can I expect a contractor to be able to use these or do I need blueprints with all measurements specified? What is an inexpensive way to have blueprints made from my drawings?

Comments (14)