SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Earliest symptoms of Rose Rosette Disease on Cornelia

carolinamary
14 years ago

Hello rose lovers,

Here's hoping you don't encounter this disease at all. But if you want to know about an early symptom on Cornelia--just in case--look for a sudden increase in thorns on what was previously a rose low in thorns. Nothing like the tiny velcro-like thorns covering the entire surface of the cane near the tips that is so often seen on many roses showing full-blown symptoms. Just notice if your Cornelia shows a sudden large increase--a doubling, tripling, or quadrupling of normal-looking thorns, except for the color on some of them. (This increase in thorns was accompanied here by some of the thorns becoming black too, on a rose that had never had any of its few thorns colored black.)

This symptom likely happened initially on just one cane, though I failed to notice it until several different canes were involved. That was last fall. This spring, I see some reddened canes with witches' brooms now.

If you suddenly notice a large increase in thorns on any Cornelia cane, especially if it also has also suddenly acquired black thorns, I'd suggest that you cut out the cane right away, all the way down to the ground level. You might be able to save the plant by not waiting around until the witches' broom appears. And you might be able to save some surrounding plants too. I've lost a total of five roses thus far by not acting on my instincts that RRD was probably developing on this rose last fall.

Best wishes,

Mary

Comments (11)