SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Social networking - who does/does not and why.

User
13 years ago

Commenting on Facebook's role during the ongoing 'Arab Spring', my daughter saw her opportunity and signed me up (much against this curmudgeonly misanthropes better judgment). Anyway, having been introduced to the delights of 'poking' while ignoring the fact that the entire world can now see I have NO friends, I feel I should not be such a resistant luddite and make the attempt to cross this new frontier. I have vaguely thought I could take anything good about it while ignoring the rest but have, so far, failed to actually log in (my daughter now 'checks' my (naked) FB page as well as her own but I am still mulishly avoiding it. So, forum chums, any of you using social networks (Gah, the very phrase makes me look around for a handy vomit vessel)? C'mon, you social types, give me some pointers to how best make use of the 21st century, please.

Comments (58)

• roseseek
    13 years ago

Facebook was a request a friend made of me to assist gathering traffic for his nursery site. I've posted rose photos there as it's made them easier to share with other sites such as the Rose Hybridizers Association. I do have sparse communications there with a nephew but abhor the apparent total lack of privacy and decorum many feel are completely acceptable.

I do NOT text, though I completely understand how invaluable it can be for some, just NOT for me. I shall never Twitter. Who cares someone burped and who honestly needs to know someone is scratching themselves? I use my cell as my only phone and it is quite convenient. For instance, triangulating with someone you're retrieving from the airport is SO much more efficient when you can contact each other to share where the other is and how soon the pick up point is reached. The cell is much more private simply because it isn't available to automatic dialers so no commercial calls occur ever. If it isn't convenient to answer the phone, simply allow it to go to voicemail and deal with it when you wish. Kim

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Ha! Suzy, what does this say about us? That we've both just recently joined in, but I have never felt more like the "odd man out". I decided to do it (not good for self-esteem, the sign-up process made me feel like a total moron) so I could be more in touch with the goings-on of children and grandchildren after one DIL said "Oh, we hardly use email. All of our photos are on Facebook." Oldest DS said to me at dinner, "Why do you want to be friends with me?" I honestly couldn't answer him. He still hasn't let me be his friend. Second DS said yes right away, a true middle child, so amiable. Third DS has yet to respond. Right off the bat I got insecure because I thought the lack of friend-liness was surely due to my being a step-mother. Oh, well, another aspect of life to "get over". I've only been "on it" about a month and check in rarely. I was quite amused and befuddled when a post of 2nd DS indicated that FB is a top provider of "news". Are they kidding? I now see absolutely no use for it. I get no "news" at all from it. I suppose one would be more "connected" if one had an I-Phone or a Droid and could stay on top of it all moment by moment but on top of what? I definitely get more out complete sentences and paragraphs and even essays. It just makes me question what kind of thought-life FBers have...or if they think at all.

The real estate office I work for has tried using it to enhance sales. Can't see that it has done that.

Oh, I also don't text.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• Related Discussions

Build outside social network to balance lack at home?

Q

Comments (15)
    First of all, thanks for your comments, I appreciate the outside viewpoint! Carla35- She brings home a stack of work every evening and weekend, and even if she doesn't do it, it serves to block any spontaneous activity or plan that I might propose. But if a friend, relative, or co-worker calls she will spend hours on the phone with them, and if they are in a crisis (real or imagined) she will spend tons of time with them, explaning they "need her support". Yes, I'm groused about it, and yes, we've talked about it, and it always ends with "after this crisis is over, we will have lots of time together". And maybe there will be a couple of quiet weeks between crisis, but usually not, because the work and friend/relative/coworker crisis are usually overlapping. Her friends are mostly of low moral character, or just hangers-on who use her time and money, and most of her relatives have "behavioral problems", so I don't want to spend time with them. And frankly, I've grown tired of trying to fit our married life into the tiny free spaces in her schedule. I get tired of following her around like a lost puppy in order to actually hold a conversation. popi and scarlett2001- You could be right that DW is bored with me, I'm not Mr. Excitement, but I am Mr. Dependable. I do about 90% of the housework, take care of the pets, take care of most of the financial matters, make sure her stuff is in her briefcase as she screams out the door in the morning, and support her 100% in these endless crisis she's involved in. And I have a full time high-level job of my own to go to everyday. It's kind of funny and kind of sad, it seems like I'm simply experiencing what most career women with inattentive husbands go through. ;-) We married late in life, so I knew we'd have our own friends and interests, but (I thought) we would both be giving up some "personal space" for "common ground" and companionability. I must have thought wrong! I've gained a huge load of work and grief for a small dose of companionship. And I think I'm just running out of energy to cope with the endless "crisis mode" we seem to be in. As the years pile up, it gets harder to believe that she can't manage her schedule well enough to live a semi-normal home life with her husband. So- rivkadr- thanks for the suggestion on meetup.com, looks interesting! I think I'm just gonna have to start taking care of my social needs on my own, and not worry about the grief that DW gives me for it. As I mentioned, there are some reasons for not making a major status change at this time, but at least I can have some fun while I see how things shake out. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Who/When/How/Why does someone use ProMix?

Q

Comments (22)
    "Emerogork, your questions aren't making sense to me. You use it and it works but you wonder why?" I always wonder why.... It messes up people in the medical profession (: "Some people see things as they are and wonder why. I see things as they never were and ask why not?" JFK "This thread sounds like you are working for Pro Mix and are trying to convince people it's the best by encouraging posters to tell why.(??) " Interesting, but no.... Maybe it is more like: Had I known this years ago, things could have been better. What failed probably was chalked up to reasons other than needing to fertilize. I rarely fertilize anything. More so yet, remember to fertilize. All house plants go out for the Spring Summer and Fall and comes back in for the winter: probably 15 - 20 plants. (They fill in every last available space where the sun shines). I stopped chemical fertilizing my lawns and gardens at least 15 years ago. My grass is just as green as the Chemlawns down the street. I hear that people who drive by my property say "That is where the gardener lives." Fall leaves get blown into the yard and, along with the cut back of perennials, all get mulched with the lawn mower. It all gets blown back into the gardens. That has been it for amending anything other than irrigation as needed and the occasional truck load of wood chips as a cover. Maybe that in itself is enough to accommodate for lack of spreading store-bought fertilizer. Also: "This is all discussed very thoroughly on the Container Gardening forum if you want to gain a broader understanding." I will continue to read here and look into the Container Growing forum too.
    ...See More

Does anyone watch Next Food Network Star?

Q

Comments (17)
    I agree with Sushipup. I'm concerned about Amy. She started strong, but seems to be checked out. I could happily watch her on Food Network, so I think she has the star part down, but don't they have to be in New York a lot? That isn't going to be easy from Hawaii, and I don't think I could move from there to the Northeast. :) She definitely outshines most of them on the warmth meter. That's what I love so much about Aarti. She's so genuinely warm. Her food is great, but I could just listen to her chat. Manny has "it" power. He's charismatic but warm, and knows a lot without being brash about it. He doesn't have great presentations skills, but that's the easiest of it to learn on the fly. I liked Christian more this time out. He's starting to be more real. So is Jess (? is that her name? The novelist?). A lot of writers are poor spontaneous speakers, but she has command of her tongue, and also seems to be warming up. She could be a dark horse if she figures the whole thing out. She's also becoming more memorable. I like Palak a lot but she doesn't project the kind of warmth that Amy has in spades. I think her food is much more interesting, but, frankly, she reminds me a lot of Giada, who has, herself, learned to project a lot more warmth in recent years, but is more composed and tight by nature. I'm making no predictions, however. The show I would have added to my DVR list would have been Dom's. By far one of the best cooks that's come through the show, charming without trying, and warm without gushing. I could listen to him describe food in Italian laced English all day. But they didn't want a cooking show cook, they wanted someone to prattle about restaurants, and out he went. I miss the old Food Network before there were stars. Sara Moulton was a favorite. Ming Tsai, too, though I don't cook his kind of food. Dom would have fit in with them... But maybe not the stoner set whose glassy eyeballs watching seem to keep the lights on at Food Network.
    ...See More

Why does my dog attack almost everything on wheels and people who com.

Q

Comments (5)
    You didn’t say how long you’ve had your rescue doggie. It would also be helpful to know if this is your first dog or if you’re experienced with dogs and if you are familiar with the breed traits of Jack Russell terriers. I strongly believe the answers to my questions are needed for anyone to offer any useful advice. @socks is spot on about relocating her food bowls & limiting open feeding! Keep water bowl down always but take up food after meals. If your pup had to worry about where its next meal was coming from there are certain to be food issues. Shock collars for this dog would be, IMO, inhumane. I assume that you are walking your dog on leash only for your safety as well as the dog. I’d recommend a Gentle Leader type harness which a trainer would tell you about. Gentle on the dog & gives person the ability to control without choking dog with a collar while pulling on leash. A trainer who specializes in gentle & reward based training is absolutely necessary!
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

I share most of Kim's sentiments about FarceBook and Twitter: far too much irrelevant information and a lack of decorum, for starters, and it doesn't honestly serve a purpose for me. FarceBook's persistent lack of respect for user privacy was the nail in the coffin for me, and so I quit using it. But hey, if it works for you, go for it.

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

When I first joined a couple of years ago I was shocked by all requests from distant acquaintances to add them as friends."

Here's the truth: your "friends" didn't actually personally invite you to be their FB friends. FB pried your email address out of them by suggesting they open their addressbook. Then Facebook (not your "friends") sends out the invites to everyone they've ever emailed or gotten an email from EVER.

That's why some people have 1,000 "friends" I did not allow access to my email address book which is why I have 23 friends, hand-selected by me.

Sherry-most kids don't want their parents to know what they're posting on FB, their real life IOW. Perfectly normal. Some kids even have a "parental" FB page and then a "real" FB page where they put all the stuff they don't want the 'rents to know about. Remember when we didn't want any of our friends to ever meet our parents? Too embarrassing lol.

Denise
    who has never texted and only has an emergency $7/mo cellphone
    hates the telephone too

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

Like rosefolly, I go on FB every day and have enjoyed the contact with old friends, new friends and people whom I wouldn't know if I met them face-to-face. I, too, have been cautious about what info I put out there, and reluctant to "friend" somebody whom I don't know, but overall it's been a nice addition to my life. It's a good way to share photos, and I know it's been invaluable to a friend whose husband has cancer. She posts status there so that we know what is going on, he enjoys getting messages from friends far and wide, and a couple of people from the local TV station who became his FB friends even came to see him in the hospital, making him very happy.

FB hasn't been a very effective way to publicize events in the cemetery but I do keep trying. I help administer a Historic City Cemetery fan page, where we list events, photos, etc.

I got some friend requests from old school friends and work acquaintances - when I asked them "do you really want to be barraged with stuff about roses?" most of them opted out!

I do get some news from FB. Don't consider it a primary source, but sometimes I see videos or news reports on FB before my DH, who is a news junkie.

Anita

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    13 years ago

Joined FB to see wedding photos of one of our "kids" who grew up out here feeding and riding our horses. Haven't used it since. Don't text and don't tweet. If you want to communicate with me, it's by phone or face-to-face. E-mail is iffy. I might get it or might not. I check it only if expecting a confirmation of a rose order or some other specific reason. Too busy outside to spend that much time on a computer.

• buford
    13 years ago

There are quite a few 'rose people' on FB. I enjoy it. I do see that sometimes it can be a problem. I used to love it for sharing pictures but now they've change the picture interface and it's harder to get the code from the pictures I put on there to post somewhere else.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

Interesting. I just came from the FB page where I was permanently deleting my account to this thread on GW. I joined FB at the urging of a friend who said she no longer "did email," just FaceBook. After I signed up she of course abandoned her page and there I was with a "naked" page and no interest in putting my life out there for all to see. I've had people I know want to "friend" me and I found it all senseless. If I want to talk to them, I will drive over, pick up the phone or email. I don't need another thing to keep up with. Of course, FaceBook assures me that even though I was forced to jump through hoops to confirm that I REALLY TRULY wanted to permanently delete my account, I can log back in any time in the next 14 days and change my mind.
    Not likely!

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Denise, the "kids" are aged 46 to 50. It occurred to me that parents might not be welcome. I think I'll just cancel the thing. Don't need it anyway.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

without coming across all old fogeyish, I do think that my generation (I am 55) is somewhat more reticent - I am quite stunned by the complete willingness of my children and their friends to expose all aspects of their life, with pictorial evidence and all, to the entire world. I have never been a journal-keeper (just as well since I would probably expire from sheer embarrassement if I ever had to be confronted with my 16 year old self (or my 35 year old for that matter). I guess they feel safe in the immensity of the web. In truth, I am thinking that the amount of time available for messing around on a PC is fairly limited, specially now it is getting really manic, so unless I have a particular reason to actually do anything on FB, it may well end up as another lonely bit of computer memory but I am trying to stay open-minded.....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I am not much more social on the internet than I am in real life. I joined FB but have not figured out what it is good for, so I never went back.

Plants and dogs are just so much easier to get along with.

• buford
    13 years ago

I use it mostly to keep in touch with my family, we are spread out all over the country. I can see what my sisters and their kids are doing and my mom is on too.

If anyone wants to friend me I am:
    Facebook link

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

Having read this thread, I can see some reasons why people might want to use FB (Farcebook--ha,ha!) I am a school teacher and I would rather not post messages for the world to see.

• foreoki12
    13 years ago

I'm an addicted FB-er. There I said it. But then I'm 32 and it's what people my age do. ;-)

I've found that the value in FB comes not from the relationships that you've already been cultivating, but from your more distant friends and family whom you have little other contact with. For example, I reconnected with a bunch of girls I went to elementary school with before I moved in the 4th grade. We started getting together over the holidays every year, and now we get together every few months. They are among my closest friends now and 5 years ago I had no idea where they were or what they were up to.

Similarly, I have many far-flung relatives whom I haven't seen in years, but thanks to FB I know what is going on in their lives. My uncle is in the hospital, and now the whole family knows. We planned our last family reunion through FB and email.

I recently convinced my mom to join because I was tired of explaining how I knew so much about what our family and friends from the neighborhood were up to. She's not an addict like me or anything, but at least I'm no longer scooping her on the latest pregnancy or engagement.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

I am also a school teacher, and I don't like Facebook.
    I am on it using my maiden name so I can be in touch with family, and former school friends. but my family does not know that yet, and most of my school friends are not on.

There certainly are disadvantages to being on it, and I am not sure that there are advantages.

Sammy

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

I'm with Foreoki12, though I'm of a different generation. I think twice about posting some of my personal information. I would keep in touch with my nearest friends anyway, but FB gives me an easy way to keep in touch with cousins, great-aunts, my best friend from elementary school before we moved away, my old college roommates, people I used to work with -- you get the picture! I have a high affiliation orientation. I like to be in touch with old friends.

I will tell you that there is a thriving old rose population on FB, some of them people I first got to know through other electronic venues.

Rosefolly

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I think I'm an accidental leftover from another century. I hate hearing the phone ring, carry a cell phone in my purse of which I don't know the number (and neither does anyone else) because my husband got it for me for emergencies, and briefly joined Face Book at the request of a friend, only to lose interest almost instantly. I think basically I just want to be left alone. I love the rose forums because it's my choice whether to interact or not, and you all share my passion for roses and gardening. I do use e-mail regularly, although I have only a few special correspondents. Overall, though, technology and telecommunication have largely passed me by, and I'm blissfully okay with that.

Ingrid

• catsrose
    13 years ago

I have zero interest in FB. When I want to connect with people, I call, write or email. I am selective about friends and even family. And I certainly don't want people contacting me just because we met once or went to school together. I want meaningful relationships, not contact for the sake of contact. If someone wants me, personally, to know about something in his/her life, s/he can tell me personally, and vise versa. I do text occasionally and I have an iphone. I have no problem with the technology. But FB seems to me the ultimate form of chain letters, exhibitionism and emptiness.

• jon_in_wessex
    13 years ago

I'm on Facebook because rosefolly is:)

I'm ancient, but I love it - though I have learned to restrict it only to my friends, and not to use that term too widely:) In that way, it is far more selective than, for instance, this forum.

Best wishes,
    Jon

• malcolm_manners
    13 years ago

I use facebook quite a lot. I've met up with old high school and college friends there, as well as quite a network of rose folks around the world. Postings are visible to the public only if you put them on someone's "wall." Private messages are private, as are instant messages, which are useful for live conversations with international friends (e.g., I frequently chat with some of the Australian "Tea Ladies." So I've found it quite useful.

• carolfm
    13 years ago

I also use Facebood a lot. Your experience is what you make it. My friends are only who I want them to be and they are family, other gardeners and rose lovers. If you are selective about your friends there is little negative about it. We discuss gardening, talk about roses and rose care, share photo's and I keep up with all of my family without numerous phone calls to each and everyone of them. It's been a good thing for me.

Carol

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago

I use Facebook. I have a very close family but they are spread out over 4 states. I find that in these busy times (we all have kids and teens) this is the best way to keep up with everyone.

Actually, I sorta use mine like a photo book so that my family can see the kids. I have a ton of photo albums on my page and that is where most of my comments/activity generates from. Many of my family members would not go to a photo based website to look at pictures, but they do look at them on FB. Its just easier for me.

Ronda

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

I was briefly a member of Facebook. I found it odd that in the one week I was involved, I got hundreds of requests for friendship from people I barely knew. Many of them were from my workplace. I think its some kind of status symbol to collect the most friends.

Many people we know are addicted to FB. They bring their camera everywhere and have pictures posted the same day. I got into a tif with a relative who photographed me when I was taking a nap during vacation and thought it was FB worthy.

My life is not exciting. No need to publicize it to make it seem something it is not.

I guess I feel that if I don't have the time to call, email or, God forbid, meet with someone, then they're not actually my friend. I don't need to share the details of my life with them. Nor do I need to know their details. IMHO, people highly involved in FB have a problem with their own identity.

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

I too was a member very briefly and found it strange that strangers would ask to be my " friend". I don't like the idea of broadcasting information about one's life and would rather relate one to one. I don't like Christmas newsletters that are copied for all to see either. Prefer a note just for me.

• mariannese
    13 years ago

Denise, I know all about the automatic FaceBook suggestions to add "people you may know", but my first few contacts were not like that. The first people wrote me personal messages to ask me to be their friends and to ask how I was doing since we last participated in a pre-internet conferencing system in the mid-80ies, run by the Swedish Defence Research Agency. Those were the days. We were so few that some of us met IRL. Some of my present 24 friends were suggested by other connections but I accepted them. Most I did not and I prefer to approach people via FB without adding them.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

If you are a member, and you begin to browse, it is amazing what information you can find.

I told my students (16 yrs.) that even if you are not a friend, you can go from person to person to person, and find friends of friends. You can find very personal information about strangers, what they look like in a prom dress or bikini, and where they will be. I told each class that this is so dangerous and they need to be very careful. They have no idea what kind of people could searching the Facebook.

They all began to chatter at once, and explained that they had 500 or even 1000 friends. Meeting people was the best thing about Facebook. I gave them my warnings, but that is all I could do.

Even for high school kids, bullying is such a problem. By the time something mean is shut down on Facebook, a teenager can really be hurt.

Sammy

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Thank you, Jon. What a lovely thing to say!

Facebook, like everything else, requires judgment. It is unfortunate that the young, for whom Facebook was invented in the first place, often show such little caution, but isn't that true of everything in young people's lives? When I was a teenager, I occasionally would hitchhike. Yes, stupid, and I could have paid with my life. I would have gone berserk if I ever found out that my kids did that when they were growing up. (Come to think of it, I have suspicions about one of them.) Anyway it is a miracle I am still alive and whole. Funny thing is, my aunt hitchhiked across several states in the 1950's and my grandmother hitchhiked across the United States back in the 1920's! I come from a line of restless, adventurous and very, very lucky women who grew careful with time and experience.

Rosefolly

• jeannie2009
    13 years ago

Oh yes I have a fb account. I set it up sometime last summer and then forgot about it. This past Sunday my husband's son from a previous marriage...as in 28 years previous, joined us for dinner. Well he convinced me to log onto fb and said he would show me how to use it.
    So we did. There were 187 people who wanted to be my friend. Go figure. Better yet the number one person wanting to be my friend was my son-in-law's mother. That's right my husband's X from 28 years ago. Im laughing all over again here. So son-in-law was oh so embarrased. I suggested we log off and go have a glass of wine and enjoy one of the few sunny days. Which we did.
    So that's my story.
    I guess I'm too old fashioned. The idea of posting personal info that anyone with a tad bit of tec savy can read is just not happening.
    A gal at work was fired due to a fb posting. She called in sick on Sunday morning. Saturday night she posted pics of herself at a bar drunk. I guess some people dont know that supervisors read fb.
    And so it goes.
    Jeannie

• foreoki12
    13 years ago

The privacy settings on Facebook are highly variable. Not just anyone can see your wall and what you post. You can even exclude some friends from seeing specific content.

I wonder if there's a correlation between a love of gardening, a rather solitary hobby, and a dislike of the extreme extroversion of Facebook. I'm an extrovert in real life, and so Facebook is just the handy tool that allows me to be myself with people I hardly, if ever, see. I can see how an introvert would find the whole idea tiring.

• kevin_mcl
    13 years ago

I have sometimes thought that I might join something like FB and inflict the minutiae of my spectacularly ordinary existence on an unsuspecting world, but on second thoughts, I fear that the excitement might be too much for people with a nervous disposition.

However, I could use it to showcase my photos, but then again, on second thoughts, I can still recall - from the last century - the feelings of excitement and anticipation when the pull down screen suddenly appeared in the living room, along with the slide projector complete with carousel preloaded with the five million slides of mine host's recent holiday.

• mille_fleurs
    13 years ago

You have heard Conan O'Brien's joke about the future merger of YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, right? He said it would be combined into one huge time-wasting site called YouTwitFace.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

YouTwitFace. That's a good one!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

I am afraid that I do not agree with the security of Facebook. I have students who brag about being able to break into almost anything. When I have begun looking around Facebook, almost nothing is hidden to me, and I am not very good with the computer.

Also, my students often do not try to hide much. Maybe they don't need to.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can see that security issues might be of some concern (my settings are all on max privacy) but since I have the most humdrum life imaginable, anyone hacking into my account would be dead of boredom in a few minutes. As for photos, well, I was feeling quite smug since I don't have any and don't take any....however, horrified to see a large photo of myself, looking distinctly worse for wear (And I had only been bowling!)apparently 'tagged' (gonna have words with daughter)and displayed on my 'wall'. Yep, I have to get up to speed fast since all my offspring know my log-in details (I have had the same password for about 15 years!)
    On the plus side, I am enjoying following some of the mutual friend lines and am also deeply amused from friending requests from offspring's pals (I have infected 2 of them with gardenitis. I now have 17 'friends' - they really are friends inasmuch as I know and like them. Even so, I suspect daughter may well be amusing herself during these late stages of her pregnancy (3 weeks to go), by logging on as me and posting inflammatory remarks. We will see - there is always the delete button.

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

I don't think that we regulars on GW have any right to be smug about people wasting their time on any of the social networks! What is, or is not, a waste of time is relative. Any time that I spend talking about roses or looking at pictures of roses doesn't seem to be a waste at all.

I've been tagged with a couple of photos that make me cringe every time that I look at them, only because they aren't flattering (of course, I'm sure that they are an accurate depiction). So far no indiscreet moments have been posted. A friend went to her daughter's birthday party and was posed with inflatable Naked Dan, and her daughter proceed to post the photos and tag them (after promising her mom that she wouldn't - it was too good to pass up). My friend was mortified. You don't even need somebody's password to post on their wall or to tag a photo that you've put on-line, so if you are going to be doing anything compromising around people with cameras or cell phones with cameras, be aware of the potential consequences, particularly if the photo-takers are your offspring.
    Anita

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Campanula, it would be very easy for you to change you password. In fact, you probably ought to change all your passwords.

I think everyone would be wise to use the highest security settings. FB actively encourages people not to. It's in their business interests for users to be highly exposed, but that is not in the users' best interests.

When non-friends go to my home page, they see a picture of me, a list of the schools I went to, where I work, and the fact that I am married and female. This is enough to allow friends from my past who are looking for me to know that it really is me they have found, not someone else with the same name. Everything else is restricted to Friends Only, and very sensitive information such as my contact information is restricted to Only Me. If you do this, and don't play any of the games (information-gathering devices), you reduce the dangers of FB to the same level as any other online forum.

Oh, and if someone has tagged you and you don't like it, you can untag yourself.

Rosefolly

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

Rosefolly, what if someone were to go to your friends who do not have your security? Then from your friends go to their friends, and make their way to any number of people?

My concern is that my account is really locked up, but my friends' accounts are rather loose. Therefore what I post and say on FB may be private, but it may be posted on their FB.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I am a Facebook junkie. I waste hours and hours every day looking at photos of people's gardens and irises, and it is a one-step process to post photos there, unlike this antiquated pain-in-the-hiney set-up.

I don't own a cell phone and my house phone has a dial. A real dial, and a cord. But forums like this and Facebook are asynchronous, so you can go on when you have the time, not when someone else commands your presence. I like that.

Most of my friends are either my former college students or iris hybridizers I have never met. Interacting with people I do not know on Facebook is difficult and good for me, because I have to bite my tongue so much and learn to tolerate ignorance and bad grammar. I have a habit of being overbearing and bossy by saying things like "and have you checked your sources?" but I am learning to stop myself. I consider everything I post there to be public, and that is a good rule to follow.

Rosefolly, can I have the names of some rose societies where people post photos? The Ventura County Rose Society's FB page won't allow it, so there's nothing to look at there. NEED MORE PHOTOS OF BEAUTIFUL ROSES PLEASE.

• buford
    13 years ago

I think, as rosefolly has pointed out, you can control who sees what on your wall. I have my pictures open, because I now use FB as my online picture repository instead of flickr or photobucket. I do think you have to be cautious of who you friend (isn't that true in real life too?) and understand how FB works and set your security so you are comfortable.

• landperson
    13 years ago

Social Networking?
    Isn't that exactly what this is?
    Here we all are sharing personal thoughts on the subject of sharing personal thoughts in public.
    The similarities far outweigh the differences (in my not so humble opinion)

Susan

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Sammy, I block Friends of Friends from my Wall. If I post something on someone else's wall, then their Friends (or possibly Friends of Friends) can see it. So naturally I think about what I post on other people's Walls. It's generally very innocuous, a birthday greeting or admiration of a new baby in the family. Occasionally I respond to an opinion, but I don't say anything I wouldn't say in public.

And I agree with Landperson about the public nature of these posts. We may not be using our real names the way we do on FB, but it's probably not that hard to track most of us down if someone were really determined.

Rosefolly
    (whose name isn't actually Rose)

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Hosenemesis, sorry, I missed your question before. I don't know of any rose societies on FB. I just have lots of rosey people in my Friend queue.

Rosefolly

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

I agree that FB can be a useful tool for those that use it carefully. But, no matter how careful you are, there is little to stop people from sharing details of your life, including pictures, with their friends, and friends of friends as well as the friends of those friends of friends...

My experience has been that the folks that use it heavily, i.e., continuously, use it as a super gossip network. And a self-building tool to make their lives seem exciting to their army of "friends".

I saw the Social Network movie. The guy who created FB was a social misfit and full-time creep. I find it hard to contribute to the fortune of that kind of person.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Harryshoe, I saw and enjoyed very much the movie Social Network, but you should be aware that it was not strictly accurate. The general outline had a lot of truth in it, but there was a lot of exaggeration to increase the dramatic effect of the story. For example, the main character was depicted as a misfit who could not relate appropriately to women, and mourned for his lost chance with one girl he had treated badly. That never happened. He is in fact engaged to be married to the girl he has been dating since his freshman year. He may indeed be an odd duck (many of the brilliant people in the high tech world are) and he may indeed have done some shady things financially (true in much of the business world, alas). I do not excuse anything ethically dubious, but the truth is we really do not know the facts.

I pop on FB daily, sometimes a couple of times daily. And I do post chatty comments. When my father died a few weeks ago I posted that, because I wanted to reach all the people who ought to know but that I might miss notifying. But I don't post anything I would not be comfortable sharing with my next door neighbor, if she were interested in hearing or seeing it. I don't even do online banking because I am not convinced of the security of that!

You can get into a lot of trouble with FB. Or email. Or blogging. Or forums such as this one. I certainly would not deny it. There is danger everywhere. But if you are prudent and think first, there is no more danger online than anywhere else. it's just that many people don't stop and think.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

I'm on FB----I don't post much but it is nice to read about family members who live far away---sure would not have time to talk to all of them on the phone---I usually check it out everyday---
    However----it does scare me in many ways which have already been mentioned--

what I like most about it-----I'm 81 and I get a big kick when I see the expression on the faces of the young people when I say I'm on FB----they look at me with shocked surprise that such an old lady can navigate through FB--Some are almost speechless "YOU'RE ON FACEBOOK"???? is the shocked reply----it makes me chuckle---HA HA--LOL LOL
    I answer---I'm not dead yet and I really didn't just drop out of a marshmallow-----Boy could I tell them some stories---LOL LOL I prefer to let them keep thinking I'm this nice refined older relative----LOL

Florence

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Zeffy, my father's cousins are all on Facebook. You are not alone! They were all born in the 1920's and are I think a bit older than you are.

Many people dig in their heels at the constantly changing world and decide enough is enough. I can understand that. I've felt it from time to time myself. Other people remain open to new things all their long lives and decide to experience at least some of the changes that come their way. Both approaches have merit, but I think the people who try out new things to see if they like them have more fun.

Rosefolly

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Rosefolly---You are so sweet---I'm so used to always being the oldest in a group --it is nice to hear about your father's cousins---

I personally like to be open to new things----there is so much beauty around all of us to enjoy as long as we can--

My garden is starting to "green up"----it is a lovely time of year.

Florence

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I use Facebook purely because some coworkers and extended family find that the only thing they seem to be able to use.

But I don't find it "safe". I've already had my account hacked once. I don't post anything on there that I wouldn't want the entire world to know. I never post anything personal or emotional, etc.

I don't really have time to read everyone's posts on there, either, so I don't really add people.
    I don't care to see what Facebook game someone won a cow in.
    I don't care to see all the replies to some thing someone tagged me in... (I only want a reply to what I replied to that one person...! but facebook doesn't work this way...)

I don't want to hear about friends' political rants.

I use Twitter also, but just for random silly things and announcements. My twitter mirrors to my facebook.

I use my blog: aimeemajor.com and aimeesroses.wordpress.com for more lengthy subjects. I enjoy this format a lot more than facebook and twitter which are extremely limited in number of characters and images and format.

I suppose if I alot of rose people wanted to use FB more, I might use FB more, but I don't like mixing my family, work and gardening all in one spot. If I had to add a bunch of gardening folks... how would I keep track of all the posts about what they ate that day, when all I really want to talk to them about is gardening.
    Sure you make some lasting REAL friends out of hobbies like gardening, but the firehosing of content and information that would come from friending everyone I'm an aquaintance with in every hobby would just be overkill for me.
    and I have a LOT OF HOBBIES. Also, I don't think all of those hobby-friends want to read about every single thing I do, either.

I suppose I could make "filters" so that only the rose stuff was on one reading part? I don't know. I've never gotten that far into facebook.
    I suppose I need to learn more about different groups/filters.

A ton of distant old friends (who haven't even emailed me in YEARS) and fans of my professional work try to add me... but I'm just overwhelmed by it all.

Since I have my own webserver and I know how to use EMAIL (gasp) I can't see the need for posting a million stupid photos of myself on facebook where it will be taken by the whole internet and put wherever for all time.
    Instead, I take a photo. I email it to the person I want...
    or I take some photos and put them on my website, and then share the link. (knowing that they are then "out there"

I also don't appreciate my facebook "friends" posting unflattering photos of me and then tagging me for the world to see. And then they get offended if I ask them to take the photo down.

I really don't understand how people can "NO LONGER DO EMAIL".
    But I've had instances where the only way I could get someone to respond was FB. WHY???

• buford
    13 years ago

My mom just turned 83 and she's on FB. Not a lot, but she gets to keep up with what the kids and grandkids are doing.

Oh, you can turn off a lot of messages, especially from games. Just right click on the x in the right of the message and say 'Hide all messages from Farmville'.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oooh, this subject has touched a few nerves! For me so far, the sorry truth is that, while I check into the ARF at least every day, I have failed to glance at FB. It may well go the way of Allotments4All or Urban - various forums I have joined at one time or another. I use GW and I also check out Peter Beales forums but that's it....I mean, who can spare the time when the sun is shning, the auriculas are in their pomp and paeony buds are fattening daily. Then family and home needs intersect, all taking far too much time for mimsying around looking at 'walls'. Without going off on one, the general content of much of what I have seen (and I admit, that is not much), is somewhat dire. A particularly jokey and shallow tone seems to predominate (but hey, am I not the mistress of dim-wittery?). Still, if it has a useful purpose for me, I think I can probably ignore the peripheral games, pokes and admin 'suggestions'. Since my life is unremarkable and my bank account is empty, I haven't that much to fear from anyone fool enough to hack into any online accounts or memberships of mine.