SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roareyeroar

HowTo Keep Bees Away From Bird Fountains?

roareyeroar
17 years ago

Hi,

I have a couple of bird (water) feeders, one small and one medium sized which the bees keep swarming around on a daily basis. I placed a small rock in the medium one so the bees may climb out instead of drowning.

I love bees in my garden, and I love that there is some water for them to enjoy, but they have grown to be a problem. Both water feeders used to attract a constant flow of birds each day, and by constant I mean there were always birds drinking from them and bathing all morning, afternoon, and evening.

But now the birds flitter about and fly away because of the bees. I estimate at least 40 to 50 bees are present on these two water sources at any given time. Once in awhile a lucky bird will make it to one of them and sneak a drink before being scared off by the bees, but by and large the birds are too scared by the bees to drink.

How many I kindly discourage the bees so the birds may receive their daily intake of delicious, fresh water? There are little to no other fresh water sources nearby in this desert like region, and again I love bees but the birds are losing out.

Help, please! :/

Comment (1)