SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starfyre

greenhouse: for pond & scented garden???

starfyre
17 years ago

I inherited a greenhouse - 12 by 18 I believe. Not sure how we will get it here (its 45 minutes away) or where exactly I would put the thing but it has me thinking up all sorts of stuff!

I have a slight touch of spring fever by the way so I could be full of crazy talk - please stop me if I sound certifiable...

I do do a small amount of cuttings and seeds each year to share with my gardening club and friends and family, but I've always been confined to a sink and a 3'x18"x5' portable greenhouse in my laundry room. I wouldn't even BEGIN to know what to do with as much space as this greenhouse will give me. SOOO I was thinking of converting the front half into a pond/scented garden with a comfy patio chair and create a small path through it that leads back to the "work area" for a table and shelves for potting plants.

See I've always wanted a chocolate/vanilla garden with the cocoa bean mulch but I have dogs. One of my elderly neighbors used the mulch last spring and the entire neighborhood smelled like brownies for weeks! It was HEAVENLY! (I suffer from a small addiction to chocolate too.) But it poses a danger to my daughters doxie who finds plastic armyguys and aluminum foil to be delicacies. If she sniffed chocolate she'd be in it, up to her overexuberant tail and silly little eyebrows, in a heartbeat.

I envision being able to go outdoors and read amongst my chocolate scented plants, by a small pond with relaxing fountain and fish, in early spring when everyone else would merely be looking out their windows at the cold rain and bare earth. I have several trees which wouldn't normally survive our zone but are my way of bringing comforts from home (New Zealand) and they would thrive in a greenhouse like this. I think I could get more of them, enough to make a nice little screen to seperate the "garden area" from the "work area." I have the pond and fountain already - but as I'm building a bigger one I wont have use for the preform unless I make ANOTHER pond. So basically I guess I see this one indoors with a chair beside it and facing a garden full of chocolate daisies and chocolate cosmos, and valerian and akebia on trellises and maybe some mockorange and sweet shrubs and chocolate mint and, and.... stop me. My baby koi really should have a seperate pond from my 3 yearlings anyway or they'll become lunch and they would benefit from it being slightly warmer than the larger exposed pond... Heck, I'm talking myself into it now!

Feasable you think? I want to be able to garden earlier than this dang it, and this would offer that chance. It would be heated in winter to keep it above 40-45 so I could increase my plant options and growing time.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:290301}}

Comments (15)