SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpinard_gw

Crazy idea... Pond +Bog +Garden = Super Veges?

jpinard
15 years ago

Thinking about all my plans for this spring/summer and I came up with an idea that just might be crazy enough to work, or could be really stupid. Bear with me as this will take a bit of explaining and I'll need some good advice.

-----------------------------------------------

So, for the past 3 years I've tried various experiments to grow our own organic vegetables in summer. Every year I've been a failboat of vegetable goodness. The biggest problem comes in late July/August as it gets so darn hot/dry here it's difficult to water enough AND our water has a ton of chlorine in it which I think has a tendancy to burn our veges when it's so awful. I also think our location (small subdivison surrounded by a lot of pavement from parking lots/roads) increases the heat/dryness aspect as well.

Now, I'm looking at our wonderful pond which has just turned pea green today (actually to my relief since we can't feed the fish yet) and remembered how well our Bog flourished which helped filter out the massive overload of nutrients from our fish population.

So I was thinking. What if I changed all our vegetable growing efforts and potted everything. Either in self-watering containers or movign it to hydroponics?

So here's the potential benefits:

* No need for fertilizer period. Every batch of water will contain all the nitrites/nitrates/ammonia necessary.

* Nutrients will continually conentrate as the water can not leach away.

* Technically all organic?

* Possability of having a small amount of Omega-3 fatty acids absorbed into the plants since the sole source is from fish? * Already know non-water based plants go crazy on this water too, because when we get overflow from the pond into the surrounding groundcover it grows like gangbusters.

* No more chlorine burning.

* Save money using water much more efficiently.

Potential drawbacks?

* Could vegetables get a fishy taste even if it's pseudo-purified topwater?

* We use a UV light to sterilize water of algae, but I wonder if we could still get some kind of bacterial contamination? Or what if the fish have ick or other diseases brough by birds... could we pick something up even if the water never comes into direct contact with the vegetables/fruits/ leaves themselves? We would make sure it goes straight into a resourvoir (so just the roots would have access).

* We would have to do a lot more topping off of the pond which would increase the cost of dechlorinater... but we need to do this more anyways as July/August the pond water temps get too hot.

* The food we feed the fish is... well its mass market fish food. Who knows how they make it. We could possibly switch to a feed stock which they use for trout farms.

* We have used meds in the past to treat fish infections (malachite green). Sure the water has changed a thousand times over since then, but still the warnings on that stuff are pretty scary.

The more I write about this the more it sounds like an iffy idea. But then again, where a lot of the U.S. food supply comes from - pesiticides, insecticiees, cow/pig poop and all manner of wild animals crap ends up on the food we eat. With all things being equal (taking into consideration contamination from all sources) seems the only safer type of food would be that harvested from a greenhouse, and then the method I outlined above would prove healthier than vegetable grown in non-sterile environments?

I could also go 100% hydroponic. Setup our waterfall pump to first pump water through a network of PVC tubes with holes for root clusters and the plant propped up with a wire cage.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:190458}}

Comments (29)