SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bentley_on

What's right soil for ROS cutting: sand, or perlite: what?

bentley_on
16 years ago

What happened to Miracle Grow potting soil? Thats what I would have used until I was told to use sand or perlite. I am not mixing a big batch, just enough to take a clipping from my dying Rose of Sharon and make a new one; to do a switch in time. I am quite out of my element here, but I was told in the Shrubs forum July 31st to use sand or perlite. I will need to go the HomeDepot, and if n/a there, I'll travel a little further to a nursery.

Also I was told to use a few pots, with a few cuttings in each. I understand increasing the chances of getting a good one with a greater number of pots, but how can you use a few cuttings in each pot. I have black pot(s) 12" dia x 12"H. How would I space 3 twigs in one pot to wait to see which is good/best? A small circle all in the center, or 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 from one end, in line? A 6"Dia circle in the center? Would you move them later? How can you move it, dig it up, or make a trough and slide it? Would you pull 2 of the 3, how long before you know to keep one and pull the others, I only need one transplant? What if the good one is the side one? Isn't the point of having a big pot having lots of room on all sides? Or does 1/3 over not matter? Will I be waiting with three pot(s), with 1 best plant in each. I think the required transplant height will require 4 years of total growth.

This is a (how to get what kind of) soil question, and I've pestered them in Shrubs long enough.

Comments (7)