SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolflover_gw

Would Like Your Input on my Solar Cover, Please

wolflover
18 years ago

I've had my solar pool cover for two months now but haven't put it on my greenhouse yet. Yesterday DH and I decided to put it on the greenhouse, but we couldn't agree on the best way to do it. Here are my thoughts, and I hope you'll give me your input on my ideas.

My greenhouse is 12 X 35' and the solar cover is 20 X 40'. The greenhouse has polycarbonate ends and doubled poly sides and roof, with a dead air space between the poly layers. We live on top of a hill where the wind can be horrible at times. Wind gusts to 40 mph are not uncommon and can get much higher during storms. We have very sunny winter days here, and I have to use shade cloth on my greenhouse year around. My plants receive plenty of sunshine to keep them blooming all winter with the shade cloth on, and they burn badly without the shade cloth. My problem is not heating the greenhouse during the day. It is usually 70* in my greenhouse by 8:00 a.m., and my exhaust fans work every day ridding the greenhouse of excessive heat. I doubt I use heaters during the day more than 2-3 days each winter. So, my thoughts are, I will mainly be using this solar cover for holding the heat inside the greenhouse during the night, not for heating it during the day. I feel like I would be better off putting the solar cover under the shade cloth to help hold the heat inside during the night. DH thinks I am defeating the purpose by putting the solar cover under the shade cloth. He thinks it should be on the outside of the shade cloth. I do not think it will hold up to the wind on the outside of the greenhouse. Perhaps I didn't need a solar cover in the first place, as I mainly wanted it to help keep my greenhouse warmer at night and to lower my heating bills.

I guess I would like your thoughts on my using the solar cover underneath the shade cloth. Do you think that would be the best way to use it on my greenhouse, or would I be better off putting it on the outside of the shade cloth? I also thought about putting it inside the greenhouse like bubblewrap, and although that would mean cutting it up, and it would be a lot more work, it is doable. I mainly just want to hold the heat inside the greenhouse at night.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Comment (1)