SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genie_wilde

Decorative fruit (plum?) tree - need name

genie_wilde
14 years ago

I'm trying to find the name of a decorative fruit tree (both the blossoms and the fruit are decorative) that has mild edible fruit.

I may be able to post a pic later but I think people familiar with this tree will recognize it by its description.

The fruit, which I believe may be some kind of plum, is spherical and a sort deep pink or coral color and bumpy (kind of like a golf ball, but the bumps are convex, not concave). The fruits are generally less than 1 inch in diameter.

The inside of the fruit is pale orange, sweet, and bland, with no "stone" in the middle (so maybe it's not a plum).

(The seeds seem to be dispersed amid the pulp.)

The outer rind of the fruit is rather tough and a bit bitter - kind of like eating the stem of a grape bunch. It's not horrible but the best way to eat these fruits is to suck the pulp out and discard the peel.

These trees, which tend to be small, are very decorative -- often pruned to a very round shape, so when in fruit, they look like big pale green balloons with coral-pink polka dots all over them.

Any guesses as to what the name of this tree is?

There are many of these trees used as decorative trees in Portland, OR and Seattle, WA.

Comments (3)