SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsarrion

Green Thumb made easy

14 years ago

Having a 'Green Thumb,' no longer needs to involve chlorophyllic poisoning, but rather just a little research. I live in the state of Illinois, and our largest city is Chicago, which actually means stinky weed (onion) in Native American Indian. The area where I live is the perfect spot to grow many different types of vegetables, but none as independently as the onion. While I was a freshman in high school I planted a small chive plant in an area around the home where I live, I never watered it, nor did I mulch the area around it. Not only did that plant grow but it thrived. The chives had begun to spread around in ways I couldn't believe. The chives began to take over an area where grass was. By planting the chives an an area where they are naturally indigenous allows them to grow more independant than some other plants or vegetables would grow.

Another easy grower for the area where I live would be raspberry and blackberry bushes. These berries grow indigenously in the Wisconsin/Illinois region, but need a bit of help to get started. Initially one needs to provide ample water and sunlight to the bushes until their roots are able to dig deep enough to gather their own water. These bushes are also another pest resistant plant because some of their species are known to have thorns.

Onions are a perfect fit in a garden because they are a natural deterrent for herbivorous creatures, if one places onions along the outer edge(s) of a garden it will help prevent theft of your vegetables.

Comment