SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Help me place these Excellenz von Shubert & Grandmother's Hat

kristimama
13 years ago

Hi all,

I scored an Excellenz von Shubert band at Vintage Garden's open house last year, it's still growing in a pot waiting to go in the ground this spring.

I'm also trying to track down a Grandmother's Hat for the yard as well.

(Can you tell I like the Cerise-colored repeat bloomers? My other faves are Rose de Rescht and Rose du Roi. LOL)

I have two spots in my yard (with slightly different size and sunlight) and I'm wondering which would go better in each spot based on the sunlight/space limitations.

The left side of entry way has a fairly narrow wall space, about 4' wide from a window to a porch opening. My planting bed (from foundation to lawn) is about 3' depth. In this area, I could theoretically get a flower to grow up and onto the porch, but I want something that will bloom from the ground up, with a minimal amount of needing to sort of "weave" back and forth to get horizontal canes. From the dirt to the top of the porch overhang, it's about 7' from the ground up. Since I'm probably not going to end up with a rose that actually climbs/trellises into the overhang (unless you can recommend one), I need to pick the one of these two that can be kept vertical to about 6-7' max or maybe just goes up a little onto the porch. This side of the house faces west, full afternoon exposure in the East Bay (near Walnut Creek), so pretty darn hot and dry in the August/September.

The right side of my entry way has a much wider wall space, almost 6-7' wide from the edge of the house to a window. It is the same rough planting area in the flower bed, about 3' from the foundation to the edge of the lawn. I also have much more room to go vertically here... because there is no porch overhang I can go almost 8-10' tall or higher if I wanted to go up to the gutters. Like in the other side, I'm not really looking for a plant I have to do a lot of weaving back and forth for. Although I'd do it if I had to. This spot gets a little afternoon shade because of some large hedges and neighboring trees casting shade. It still faces west, but doesn't have the same intensity or afternoon scorching as the left side of the entry way.

So... I own EVS, and am hoping to buy Grandmother's Hat, and these are the two I want in the front yard (for their color and near-thornlessness). I still have little kids toddling around this small front yard, hence the thorn issue.

Originally, I was thinking that Grandmother's Hat would be better on the left side because it was more "vertical"... but I was reading on GW that GH sometimes hates the intense heat of the sun, and that EVS can take all the sun it gets.

So now I'm wondering if actually EVS would be better on the left side of the entry, with some trellising to keep it upright... and put GH on the right hand side of the entry.

Any thoughts about how these grow, handle the intensity of the sun, their growth habits, etc.

Also, if you have photos of either of these varieties, can you share them? Sometimes it's hard to see how the plant actually grows, and Gregg's little stick figure drawings don't always explain how best to grow them.

Thanks so much.

-kmama

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio