SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

My List, finally!

kristimama
12 years ago

I'm so excited, I finally did it and placed my order for roses! After years of admiring them from afar and peeking in at the Celebration, I got bitten by the Rose Fairy and dove head first into a whole lot of 'em.

Now I just need to figure out where to put them all... and refrain from buying any more until I do. Haha.

-Excellenz von Schubert (bought this at Gregg's open house last year)

-Rose du Roi of commerce (also from Gregg's last year)

-SDLM

-Grandmother's Hat

-Gruss an Aachen

-La Reine

-Ulrich Brunner Fils

-Climbing Pinkie (to put in a place where it will climb up and cascade over a fence and I'm hoping I can just leave it alone and never have to really prune it or deadhead it)

-Pie IX

-Mrs. Dudley Cross

-Madame Plantier... my only once-bloomer, I won this years ago at a Celebration raffle and it's been living in a little 5 gallon pot since then, flowering a little each year... a testament to how much you can torment these old roses and they'll still keep growing.)

The Ulrich Brunner and Grandma's Hat may be competing for the same high profile spot so I have to see which one we prefer as we lay them out... but I figure if I've bought 1 or 2 too many I can always donate them.

I'm hoping the Gruss an Aachen isn't too thorny... my DH prefers the colors of the GaA to the Pink GaA. (I know, "thorny" is in the eye of the beholder.)

And believe it or not, I passed on Reine des Violettes... after seeing it in person at Celebration, I thought the color was almost a blackish purple and it didn't appeal to me. Which is funny, because the photos online of RdV always look more magenta... but either way I didn't like the dark color, so I ordered its magenta and slightly thorny parent, Pie IX. Hope it will work for us.

And now, my mom is trying to hand off a Madame Berard, too... so I may end up with one more orphan... but I don't know where to put her within the confines of my yard. Outside the yard, she'd be gobbled up by our suburban deer in a minute.

Wow! I'm finally going to do this.

Thanks to all of you for your help with my incessant questions and queries about thorns and growth habits and reblooms and color. I cant wait to become a bit more experienced with these roses and then someday be able to share my own advice.

-KMama

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!